• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun for Home Defense "Economic Viability"

First gunfight I was ever in I was using a 20" Remington 870 and full load, military-issue, Winchester 00 buck. I've loved the shotgun every since.......used it a few times since that occasions as well. I've used 870's and Benelli's for decades and trust them, as well as train with them regularly.

Nowadays I prefer a 14" Wilson Combat Rem870 (backbore and lengthened forcing cone) with reduced recoil 00 buck. That takes care of the handiness issue nicely.

No, a shotgun ain't for everyone. If you haven't trained properly with a pump action, not hard to have a shooter induced malfunction. If you're using a semi-auto, they can be ammunition sensitive.

If I had to grab one firearm to use inside the home, it would be my 14" 870.........but, most folks would be better served with a good carbine or handgun for home defense.

If you are not experienced running a shotgun it is the worst pick for home defense. Shotguns are not point and shoot. And as far as engaging multiple targets with a shotgun it can be done with a lot of practice. I have killed multiple deer at a time with a shotgun and they move faster than home invaders. As far as racking the pump to deter intruders it only gives away your location. My home defense weapon is a 21" barrel 870 that I have put literally thousands of rounds through over the last 20 + years. NO ONE is going to take it away from me during a confrontation. All 4 bedrooms are on the top floor. I have the high ground with no worries of stray shot hurting my wife or kids. In short game over for the intruder. If you are shooting in a ranch style house or apartment save the shotgun for hunting season. Pick a handgun you shoot well and wait until you can smell their breath before shooting. And Shoot to kill. Dead men do not tell lies in court.

Back
Top Bottom