• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun Love and (The Money Pit)

Thanks Y'all. I think it came out nice as well. I just did not realize how much money I spent on it until I added it all up, lol.

I also ordered a Burris Speed Bead for the 1100 that will be here on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats why you never keep receipts and add things up! I have a Rem 700 like your shotgun....lefty 700 BDL 30-06. I had it re barreled to 257 Roberts, ruined the stock trying to refinish it, bought 3 more stocks and still dont have one I truly like, oh yeah and screws and bottom metal for the stock I hate the most.....but to sell it I'll lose twice the amount I could get for it! LOL

I kind of went through the the same thing with a shotgun of mine.

Had my mother purchase this for me when I was 18 as my first gun and ended up selling it to my older brother a couple years later. Well, many many moons after that (recently) I asked if he still had it and since it was my first gun would he concider selling it back to me. Being the loving older brother that he is, he just gave it to me. That was nice and all but the condition of the shotgun was not as I remembered to say the least, so I spent a few pennies and made it into a HD gun as well.

Before
View attachment 1121157

After
View attachment 1121164

That came out really nice man. I does give a good feeling to save something that worked so well and re-purpose it.

I totally see where you were thinking from the beginning, I had this beat up 870 I wanted to make into a HD weapon. I spent over 3 weeks researching different blogs about replacing parts ,upgrading parts,etc,etc...I lost interest on the amount of effort it was going to take,(getting old and time isn't on my side anymore)...fast forward a week or two . I just happen to stop by Forsyth County Pawn and was looking at the used shotgun hoping to find one that says buy me...Telling the guy behind the counter what my end game was, he looks at me and smiles why don't you just by this one?
IMG_6995.JPG

I said. I didn't want to spend $650+ and then another $200 on the tax, well he smiled and said how does $500 out the door sound? I placed $100 on the counter and said I'll see you Monday with Trust in hand.
granted I'm in this for $700 including ATF stamp and a 8+ month wait ,
273 days later ,I added a gen3 spec ops knoxx stock and fore arm, Mesa tactical side saddle and Wilson +1 extension and follower... +$200 more
IMG_9919.JPG

Waiting on the light and my labor of HD love is finished!

So it began.

I had this older 1971 Remington 1100 12 Gauge that was extremely reliable. I started using it for Skeet and also tried my hand at Trap shooting with it as well. At that time I had a couple of fixed chokes barrels with it. I started getting a little better at the Sporting Clay game so ended up buying a new barrel for it that would use Screw in Rem-Chokes. The 28" barrel worked very well but compared to other Sporting guns of today, it's a bit heavy. I started trying a few newer shotguns and settled on one for regular Sporting Clay use (New Beretta Xplor). The trusty old Remington was no longer being used so I offered it up for a fair price here on the ODT. But as all things go, everyone wanted it for less than I was willing to let it go for. I ended up just keeping it.

Here is where it started getting expensive, LOL. I started thinking that I could simply turn it into a Home Defense shotgun but the barrel was just too long. I ended up buying a brand new 18.5 inch one for it and some new Synthetic Furniture. As it was old, the 40 plus year old finish on the receiver was getting a bit thin and worn so, I decided to have it Cerakoted for protection since that is such a durable finish. I figured it could last for many more years. I opted for another upgrade of a Magazine Extension so it will hold 7 rounds of 12 Gauge power. New follower, New Spring, Sling, and, and, and.

My thought process was it could be Home Protection by night, and with a simple barrel swap to the 28" barrel and a couple needed Screw in Chokes, it could be used for Sporting Clay's by day or weekend fun. It would be especially useful for guests that I might want to take to my Rod & Gun Club. Well, as the story goes of a money pit, I now have more money invested in this Old Faithful than it would have been to just go out and buy a Home Defense Shotgun off the shelf from a Big Box store, lol.

Well, here she is, coated with a new color named Vortex Bronze ready for it's home defense duty with the other barrel pictured also. It looks much better in person than the pictures could depict. Might as well just keep it now right?

View attachment 1121002 View attachment 1121003 View attachment 1121004 View attachment 1121005 View attachment 1121006
True labor of love , Great job

You've inspired me to turn my Mossberg 500 into a HD gun lol.

On that note, anybody need a 28" barrel and a mag tube for a Mossberg 500? I know somebody with one for sale/sail/sell/cell :becky:

Back
Top Bottom