• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun recommendations for teen girl?

Shooting shotguns painlessly is all about technique. The shooter needs to take an aggressive stance, lean into the gun, attack the target. This is very true for target shotgun shooting, less so for shotgun hunting. I can hear the folks out there saying I've hunted for years and never did that, but you probably shot less than a box of shells a day too.

Seat the butt of the gun firmly into the shoulder "pocket", let the recoil "push" you, not slap or hit you....that is the secret. I used to practice 12ga skeet and it wasn't unusual to shoot 200-300 shells a day. I used a Charles Daly O/U.

Agreed.......but tell that to a young shooter (especially a smaller framed female shooter). There is NO doubt that a semi will help the shooter to absorb the recoil a bit better than an O/U. JMO .....after observing many young shooters try 4H Modified Trap.

Take her to either Etowah Valley Sporting Clays or Garland Mountain and have her try a 12Ga. If she can handle it there is no reason to handicap her with a 20. Iin modern autos the recoil of a 12 gauge low recoil shell is not bad any way.

She would be swinging the weight of an extra barrel with an O/U. Agreed, it would be a bit easier to load, MAYBE (it would depend on how "broken in" the action is) With just a wee bit of instruction, she could load the semi very easily AND it would have less recoil than the O/U. Our team shoots a minimum of 50 rounds per person at each practice. Some shoot MUCH more than that. She doesn't need anything that is gonna make her hurt. She won't want to shoot anymore. Again, Good Luck brother!

Would love to see the young girl get involved in the Clay shooting sport, what ever gun she decides on she going to have her sore days. Until she finds her gun and as it fitted to her she will surely take a beaten, we all did at one time or another. Best of luck to the young lady.

I've got 2 daughters (ages 11, and 12) both have Benelli M2 20 gauge. One has the compact comfortech stock the other the full size. I've got a an M2 12ga full size. The recoil pulse is IDENTICAL between the 20 and the 12 because of weight, and the Stoeger M3000 is significantly less price but almost identical. If you want to try them out just let me know and we will bring them all for you to tryout at the range. FWIW, my girls also shoot 4H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My granddaughter has expressed interest in shooting 4-H shotgun. I have owned shotguns (used for turkeys and squirrels) but have no experience in sporting clays, trap or skeet. I'm thinking an autoloader in 20 gauge. What would you ODT fountains of wisdom suggest? I would prefer to keep it under $600 if possible.

Remington 1100 LT-20 with Chokes.

Like this one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/683596227

I would have to say a over/under in 20gauge, for one a lot less problems with jamming and a O/U is a lot easier to load.

6 to 1: 1/2 dozen the other.

Typically, target loads won't be an issue with a good Auto.

They will be given each round, 1 at the time, by the coach, & an 1100 say, will be open & ready.

Back
Top Bottom