• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun recommendations

Moose94

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
19   0
Reaction score
I’d like to get a shotgun for skeet/trap shooting that can also be used for home defense.

I am looking into a 870 Police but open to any suggestions. Have a budget under $1k but could save a little more to get a quality shotgun. Thanks

I used to do trap with a Winchester pump shotgun. It'll work for singles (clays), as well as many others. As you shoot more, you will want to shoot doubles (clays). It can be done. But when you want to get serious and improve your score you will decide either to get an automatic or double barrel.

Like everything else firearm-related, it's fun, costs a bunch, and requires practice to stay proficient.

How many times each year will you be shooting Skeet, Trap or Sporting Clays?

I have this same conversation each year with dozens of parents looking to buy a shotgun for their youth clay target team member to use.
Pump models are fine for Trap singles, but more challenging to use on the Skeet and Sporting Clays course.
Anything with a ghost ring or elevated site will make clay target shooting more challenging.
If you are shooting clay targets a couple of time each year, then get what you like ;-)

If you shoot clay targets a couple of times each month, it is beneficial to invest in a model more suited for the task.
General recommendations for clay targets are the 3 B's.
Beretta, Browning, and Benelli...have models all within your budget :-)
If you go to a clay target range you will see these models the most.
Nothing against a Winchester or earler model Remingtons, we just don't see these as often.
You will want a shotgun with interchangable chokes.

Going to make a lot of folks mad with this statement, but
avoid the cheap imports from Turkey if you plan to shoot a significant amout of clay targets each year. They look good and the price point is attractive, but rarely last more than a season or two. Finding replacement parts and a gunsmith willing to work on them can be challenging. If you are shooting a couple of boxes each year for hunting or a charity Sporting Clays shoot once a year, then these are fine for that purpose. If you shoot 2 or 3 thousand rounds per season, then invest a little more in a better quality firearm.

Just one man's opinion. your mileage may vary.

regular capacity 26” pump with screw in chokes and a vent rib and a front bead sight.
Mossy 500, Rem 870, Benelli Nova.

Honestly you would be better off getting 2 separate guns. A strictly HD gun and a trap/skeet/dove gun. A good HD shotgun can be had for $400 easily and will preform WAY better than a combo and vise versa.

Not sure I see the need for TWO Guns--I can put an 18" "Riot" Barrel on my 870 Trap Gun OR my 1187 Skeet Gun & they'll serve that purpose just fine, too--Plus I'll have the advantage of already being intimately familiar with them & their Manual of Arms...

Not sure I see the need for TWO Guns--I can put an 18" "Riot" Barrel on my 870 Trap Gun OR my 1187 Skeet Gun & they'll serve that purpose just fine, too--Plus I'll have the advantage of already being intimately familiar with them & their Manual of Arms...
I'm speaking from experience. I tried to one gun approach with my 1187 police and it's a pita. Adding and removing the +2 extension, unloading the 8 rounds of buck, keeping up with the stock tube, plug, spring. Changing it over just to go shoot clays then having to clean it and rebuild as HD and re load with 00 buck. No to mention it will never handle the way a properly weighted field/skeet gun will.

I'm speaking from experience. I tried to one gun approach with my 1187 police and it's a pita. Adding and removing the +2 extension, unloading the 8 rounds of buck, keeping up with the stock tube, plug, spring. Changing it over just to go shoot clays then having to clean it and rebuild as HD and re load with 00 buck. No to mention it will never handle the way a properly weighted field/skeet gun will.

I'm much, MUCH lazier than you--I just swap the Barrels, figuring if the five rounds in the Gun plus whatever I can grab up & carry with me don't take care of the problem, mebbe' I shoulda' called in Air Support first... :)

I'm much, MUCH lazier than you--I just swap the Barrels, figuring if the five rounds in the Gun plus whatever I can grab up & carry with me don't take care if the problem, mebbe' I shoulda' called in Air Support first... :)
I just know with mine it would struggle to cycle dove loads without the 28in barrel on so I had to run magnums to cycle it with the 20in barrel. Not to mention that thing is about ugly I like my clay and bird gun pretty and nice

Back
Top Bottom