• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun recommendations

Thank you al for the recommendations. I should have stated this in my post, but this would be my first shotgun.

Have never shot trap/skeet but would like to get into the sport.
Many ranges have guns for rent. Test drive a few different models to see what you like :-)
Where do you plan to shoot most often?

Many ranges have guns for rent. Test drive a few different models to see what you like :-)
Where do you plan to shoot most often
A few guys are planning a skeet shooting meet up soon and I wanted to have my own gun for that, but probably best to try out some different ones first.

Im in Marietta, so I’d probably just head north to Garland Mohntain.

ok, so not specifically the game of Skeet, but clay target sports in general.
Garland Mountain has very nice Sporting Clays courses, 5-Stand and Wobble Trap.
You will have a great time.
http://garlandmountain.com/pricing/

If you are willing to drive a few miles farther South, Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds offers "Beginning Shooting Clinics" each Saturday at 10:30 AM

I’d like to get a shotgun for skeet/trap shooting that can also be used for home defense.

I am looking into a 870 Police but open to any suggestions. Have a budget under $1k but could save a little more to get a quality shotgun. Thanks
I don't know if someone else has recommended it yet or not, but the Beretta 1301 is amazing. The shorter 18" Barrel is better for home defense imo because it will be easier to clear corners, but the longer barreled version (I think it's 24") will be better for hunting and skeet shooting. With a longer barrel you can achieve greater velocities therefore more distance.

I’d like to get a shotgun for skeet/trap shooting that can also be used for home defense.

I am looking into a 870 Police but open to any suggestions. Have a budget under $1k but could save a little more to get a quality shotgun. Thanks

I've got one that I can get to fit your budget if interested.

I don't know if someone else has recommended it yet or not, but the Beretta 1301 is amazing. The shorter 18" Barrel is better for home defense imo because it will be easier to clear corners, but the longer barreled version (I think it's 24") will be better for hunting and skeet shooting. With a longer barrel you can achieve greater velocities therefore more distance.
The Beretta 1301 is an excellent gun; however, as we step up to the $1000+ price range the purchase of two separate task specific guns may be more cost effective.

If you only want one gun and you budget permits, there are versions of the 1301 which are very similar to an A400 synthetic except with a 24" barrel :-)

Versions of the 1301's with a pistol grip, ghost ring sights, or fixed cylinder choke would not be recommend for clays, but the 1301 Comp or 1301 Comp Pro may be a good compromise for occasional clays, home defense and of course the 3-gun matches for which they are designed ;-)

If you make it up to Garland Mountain this weekend, let us know which gun(s) you shoot and your impressions of your first clay target outing :-)

If you get into shotgun target shooting seriously, you will need deep pockets for ammo or get into reloading. If the latter I would suggest MEC reloaders, the Junior is a good starter setup. When shooting skeet competitively I shot reloads for practice and "smaller" competitions. Shot factory ammo for the "big" shoots.

some home defense guns are now over and unders according to some folks? This aint 1875.

Get you a short barrelled pump for a few hundred or so. And you get you a beretta a300 or something in the 700-800 range for the range. You will be doing yourself a disservice trying to make one gun work for both.

You still want only one gun, get you a 26in auto in something, that is about all you can do to meet in the middle of both.

Back
Top Bottom