• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shotgun reloading questions

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
121   0
Reaction score
so as usual as I get into a new area I have some questions. I've reloaded metallic cartridges for years, rifle and pistol. Just getting into the shotgun stuff. I've got a few of the books/manual specific to shotguns but have some general questions:

1) 209 primers- as usual they always say to follow the "recipe" and don't make changes. BUT for example I have Winchester AA hulls, and got some WAA12 wads. found recipes for loads, so I'm good there, but I have federal 209 primers. Some of the loads I found call for a different brand of primer. I ASSUME it's ok to mix and match the same type of primer, similar to what I do with rifle reloading (i.e. fine to use CCI large rifle instead of winchester large rifle)? I know not to mix magnum or different versions but can the standard 209 primers be mixed up with load data or do I need to go find a few boxes of different brand primers? I'm not going for top velocity loads, just wanted to play with some buckshot loads and maybe some slugs.

2) load weight- I have the Lyman shotgun manual, as well as the BPI Buckshot manual. But I've had many people say you can use a standard load as it doesn't matter what the load is as long as it's the same weight. For example, 9 "OO" buck pellets is 1 1/8oz load. So they say just use any 1 1/8oz loads you find in the manual and you are good to go instead of looking for specific "buckshot" loads. Again, I have Winchester AA hulls, WAA12 wads and a few different powders, so there are plenty of load combinations with what I have in the Lyman manual for 1 1/8 oz loads, but when I check the "buckshot" section not much of what I have is listed (they only show a single load for 9 00 buck, most are 8 pellets). Wondering if I have to go and find different components recommended by BPI or just use one of the 1 1/8oz loads I found in the Lyman manual...

thoughts?

Been a long time since I reloaded shot shells....1970s or so....but what you have said so far makes sense to me. A 1 1/8 oz load is the same so long as it is all lead shot, be it #9s, #4s or buckshot. I never did slugs so have no idea. I mainly did skeet loads and a few dove loads of 7.5 shot. Most buckshot loads have some plastic buffer pellets loaded in around the shot to prevent deforming, don't know how a reloader would duplicate that. Maybe they sell the plastic buffer stuff?? I used Fed 209 primers a lot because I thought they were better than Winchester, but both worked and I wasn't "professional" enough to tell the difference. The Winchesters were a bit cheaper as I recall. Back then they were about a penny/each.

I quit loading shotguns years ago, still load rifle, pistol. I have tried numerous load going up down on bullet weight, powder, primers and different cases, swapping out mag primers for normal.
If I was still loading for shotgun, I (after 40 years) would not hesitate to change my loads. Shot gun is more forgiving in the lines of pressure. I have shot old cases where I could see the shot coming out of the barrel.
Would not do this with rifle or pistol.

Cases, use anything that would accept standard primer that was called for.

Shot, as long as it's weight was close to published data. 00 buck vs 9 shot weight is weight. Might need a filler to complete capacity.

Primers, 209, 157, 57, as long as they are all the same series (209) cci, win, rem, no mag primers unless called for. Same with 157 same series, cci, win,rem.

Powder, what manf calls for, however I would change weight within reason. If manual calls for 25 grns red dot I would change/could change +\-10% would be reasonable.

Wads, that I think I would not change, if I remember correctly this determines pressure in chamber.

However, the manual data is always correct and a safe load to follow. If you change anything you assume responsibility for your load. That's why reload are not for sale, no one know what you could have changed.

I might have some old manuals around some where if I can find them, their yours. Might have thrown out years ago though.

it's ALWAYS a good idea to follow the formula exactly when loading shotgun shells. Every reloading source for shells states to not change anything..

I've used the Lyman manual for years and their stuff works..

it's ALWAYS a good idea to follow the formula exactly when loading shotgun shells. Every reloading source for shells states to not change anything..

I've used the Lyman manual for years and their stuff works..
So you don't use different primers?

I just assumed like rifles I could use any 209 standard primer...

Opinions vary, and mine is based upon non-intensive, non-obsessive Clay Shooting (I don't even use a case per month):

I've considered reloading shotgun for decades ... and found that unless you shoot something exotic (.410, 28 / 16 / 10 gauge), it just isn't worth the effort. Essentially, it is almost impossible to cost justify the expense vs the results!

With ammo prices (still) falling, it is hard enough to justify reloading anything that is commonly available in pistol loadings!

I agree. I haven't reloading pistol ammo in a while with the exception of 44mag and some JHP stuff. I do have 16, 28, and 410 (and a Lee shotgun reloader for the 16) but just don't shoot any of them enough. As you said, it's hard to beat a bunch of shells at walmart for $22. My plan was to load up some buckshot and slugs (got a buckshot mould recently, hence the curiosity to load some buckshot loads) and just see where it goes.

Plus I just like to learn how to do things. I had reloaded shotgun shells with my dad when I was a kid (on a 20 gauge VersaMec that I still have) but have forgotten how to do it. Dusted off the MEC but also wanted something to load 12 gauge with, so I bought an MEC9000. I'll get some basic principles down on the VersaMec and then move to the 9000 once I get things figured out. I have read that there are some conversions out there for the VersaMec for 28 and 410 maybe? or even 16 since I doubt I'll play with the Lee shotgun loader. 28 is the one where the prices are kinda crazy, it's like 218 bee or 348 winchester in my rifles as far as prices go.

thanks for the feedback, I'll continue my quest.

I agree. I haven't reloading pistol ammo in a while with the exception of 44mag and some JHP stuff. I do have 16, 28, and 410 (and a Lee shotgun reloader for the 16) but just don't shoot any of them enough. As you said, it's hard to beat a bunch of shells at walmart for $22. My plan was to load up some buckshot and slugs (got a buckshot mould recently, hence the curiosity to load some buckshot loads) and just see where it goes.

Plus I just like to learn how to do things. I had reloaded shotgun shells with my dad when I was a kid (on a 20 gauge VersaMec that I still have) but have forgotten how to do it. Dusted off the MEC but also wanted something to load 12 gauge with, so I bought an MEC9000. I'll get some basic principles down on the VersaMec and then move to the 9000 once I get things figured out. I have read that there are some conversions out there for the VersaMec for 28 and 410 maybe? or even 16 since I doubt I'll play with the Lee shotgun loader. 28 is the one where the prices are kinda crazy, it's like 218 bee or 348 winchester in my rifles as far as prices go.

thanks for the feedback, I'll continue my quest.

Your approach and thinking is sound ... you are doing it for the right reason(s)!
Good Luck .. and keep us informed of your progress!

My 2cents worth. I've loaded slugs and buckshot. I believe
it's very important to load virtually absolute to a published load. I learned from Dad and you probably would not believe how many years ago. I have experimented with loads based on weight. I don't follow the theory of weight is weight.
Slugs and buckshot should always be cast of 100 percent lead. Buffer in buckshot to me made little difference.
Most suitable best results come from powders like Blue Dot.
The biggest reason I rarely load slugs is the performance
for hunting. Hornady SST slugs are outstanding imo.
I like to do things myself too and I like to take game with my own loads. I know the Hodgdon older manuals had good load info . I of course also used Lyman as the go to reference. I have tried many loads in both slug and buckshot. Loads with the wax and card wads can still be very effective within limits you must remember. Slug loads with plastic wads limit wad choice. I like winchester red 12ga. for slugs,buckshot and heavy field loads. Less variables but very good results.
This can be helpful.
hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun.
I have also tried the newer Lyman slugs and molds. I think these would give better distance accuracy than the old Foster.
Again I think you get the best results for slug and buck if you use slower, heavy load powders and do not change primers without powder charge adjustment.

Back when I was reloading a lot of 12ga skeet loads, I figured the cost to reload was about a nickel for the components as follows: primer, a penny; wad, a penny; powder, a penny and shot, 2 cents. This didn't account for the hull which I had a lot of. I shot factory loads in matches, saved the hulls for reloading practice ammo. I shot an O/U, so it was easy to keep the hulls. I used Red Dot powder in 12ga.

I started with 12ga, and eventually got reloaders in the other gauges as well. 410 was the most difficult to reload, primarily due to smaller size.

Back
Top Bottom