• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns still suck for Self Defense.

:doh: I don’t think @chucklenut has really entered strange homes in a drunken rage and been shot with a shotgun. Ok, well I don’t think he got shot anyway.
If he hangs around with that trouble maker BIKER13 BIKER13 , he has, he had me driving the get-a-way motorcycle on his last rampage...:rolleyes:

FYI... Just so you know.. a 1oz to 1 1/4oz slug runs @ about 1600 FPS with nearly 3,100 Flb of energy. Use a Breneke and it’s north of that...

I have had 35 years as this as my primary deer gun and on black bears...
Trust me... I recovered ever thing I ever shot since 1979 in New York.
That was the only choice when you hunt shotgun only counties.. they are devastating period... when you shoot a deer at 40 yards and it flips over like you shot a rabbit... say no more...
I think you missed the part where that post is about mini shells.

Set it up. Or come to my place. We can shoot in the back yard.

We will film it.

You bring your semi-automatic AR...

I’ll bring my semi-automatic BENELLI shotgun.

You choose whatever ammo you want...I’ll do the same.

We will start with gun in our hands, safety on and pointed at the sky.

We will put up five bowling pins, first time one foot apart. Then we can try 3 feet apart.

After shooting at them sitting still at 15 ft I suggest moving back to a more realistic self defense distance of 30 ft. You can change ammo then. Me too. And chokes.

We can then more accurately simulate a home invasion situation by having them thrown across the air 30 ft in front of us at random speeds and angles...like a dodging and weaving attacker. To make it more realistic we will use head sized targets...maybe cantaloupes?

If I win you have to train my dog for two weeks.

If you win you get to say “I told you so” on the ODT.

After watching the video the ODT will choose winner via a poll.

Either way it’ll be fun.

:cool::pop2::fish2:
Let's see now, you have reduced the number of targets and increased the distance to give advantage to the shotgun. Hell, you even changed the load and the choke.

I guess if the bad guys cooperate exactly right, the shotgun works well. LOL!

I believe this is the answer right here. It's not about the right weapon for home defense, it's about perspective on what someone thinks a home invasion looks like and how they plan on reacting.

Pros vs crackhead
One vs many
Armed vs unarmed
Make them run or pin them down
How many shots someone thinks it will take to end the fight
All I can say is that if you're ready for the Pro, the Crackhead doesn't stand a chance.

Let's see now, you have reduced the number of targets and increased the distance to give advantage to the shotgun. Hell, you even changed the load and the choke.

I guess if the bad guys cooperate exactly right, the shotgun works well. LOL!
Well, you did design your own scenarios to help your own statements.

You're not wrong so no one can prove it, but it is still an opinion. I will throw out my 2. All things being equal:

1. I would rather be shot 1 time by an AR than I would a shotgun

2. I would rather be shot by 1 bullet than 10

Prove that I don't feel that way.
No doubt. One round from a shotgun is devastating and you'll typically have 6 to 8 rounds total to get one on each target. But if that doesn't work out...

Back
Top Bottom