• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns with "tactical" buckshot, different barrel lengths and options

for inside of my house I would rather use a Shotgun over an SBR, out on the streets SBR all day long that way if I have to get separation I can still effectively engage.

Shep, I have some LOWWWWW recoil rounds you should try out to see how they perform. I was going to have the forcing cone done on my 14" but it was tight enough at 25 yards for its intended use.

I'd like to give them a whirl.

for inside of my house I would rather use a Shotgun over an SBR, out on the streets SBR all day long that way if I have to get separation I can still effectively engage.

Shep, I have some LOWWWWW recoil rounds you should try out to see how they perform. I was going to have the forcing cone done on my 14" but it was tight enough at 25 yards for its intended use.
At inside the house distances, the penetration is still going to be substantial, even with bird shot. With the right ammo, an SBR can have much more controlled penetration than a shotgun.

I would think one would need much more practice with a rifle over a shotgun for home defense. That's my reasoning for the shotguns all over my house....I don't have the time or resources (or interest) to train enough to feel confident with a rifle for HD.

Middle if the night disorientation, lack of training, even less training for my wife....better chance of putting some lead in an intruder with a shotgun IMO.

Just my opinion. :)

I would think one would need much more practice with a rifle over a shotgun for home defense. That's my reasoning for the shotguns all over my house....I don't have the time or resources (or interest) to train enough to feel confident with a rifle for HD.

Middle if the night disorientation, lack of training, even less training for my wife....better chance of putting some lead in an intruder with a shotgun IMO.

Just my opinion. :)
That's a common misconception. Look at the pics the OP provided and you'll see the size of the shotgun patter might as well be a slug out to seven yards. That's a lot further than most interior spaces provide. With that in mind, it's actually more difficult to put rounds on target with a shotgun because of greatly increased recoil. That's not even taking into account the low capacity and very slow reload of a shotgun.

A light recoiling 5.56 or pistol caliber carbine that gives you another full mag (30 rounds?) in about two seconds is much more user friendly. It actually takes much more practice to be proficient with a shotgun for HD.

At inside the house distances, the penetration is still going to be substantial, even with bird shot. With the right ammo, an SBR can have much more controlled penetration than a shotgun.

No, reduced recoil 00 buckshot pellets have limited penetration. Out of an 18.5" barrel, they're doing 1145fps at the muzzle. Out of a 14" barrel, they average 972fps at 10 feet. A solid lead .32 caliber pellet with a weight of 54 grains does not penetrate very far at those velocities.

Bird shot is a horrible choice for a defensive load. I've seen the results of buck shot, slugs, and bird shot on human beings. I'd carry a 2" 5-shot .38Spl before I'd carry an 8-shot shotgun loaded with bird shot.

I'm not saying a shotgun is better than an SBR for home defense, it's just different. I'm fine with the use of either one. Weigh the pros and cons and use the one that makes more sense for you.

That's a common misconception. Look at the pics the OP provided and you'll see the size of the shotgun patter might as well be a slug out to seven yards. That's a lot further than most interior spaces provide. With that in mind, it's actually more difficult to put rounds on target with a shotgun because of greatly increased recoil. That's not even taking into account the low capacity and very slow reload of a shotgun.

A light recoiling 5.56 or pistol caliber carbine that gives you another full mag (30 rounds?) in about two seconds is much more user friendly. It actually takes much more practice to be proficient with a shotgun for HD.

A home defense scenario is different from a "combat" or active shooter scenario. In a home defense scenario is is extremely unlikely you will be reloading. I've been unable to find an instance where a home owner reloaded during a home defense shooting, except instances where they used a single or double barrel shotgun.

The "just aim in the general direction" thought of using a shotgun for home defense is a wrong one. You need to aim like anything else. I've shelled out extra money to get my shotguns to pattern tighter, not looser.

A home defense scenario is different from a "combat" or active shooter scenario. In a home defense scenario is is extremely unlikely you will be reloading. I've been unable to find an instance where a home owner reloaded during a home defense shooting, except instances where they used a single or double barrel shotgun.
Yeah, keep saying that when the zombies attack. :shocked:

Back
Top Bottom