• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should I get this refinished (S&W 37) UPDATED, It's a 36-1

Should this revolver be re-blued?

• YES?

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • NO?

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters
I replied in a PM to the OP. Refinishing a S&W is a personal thing. In most cases, the cost of refinishing will not add value to the S&W and will in most cases diminish the value. However, if you plan on keeping the S&W, and you want to make the gun look better, refinish it. Like I said, a personal thing. The red color fill is not original.

The "floating J" serial number was produced in 1971-1972, serial numbers 1J1 to 999J99. A maximum of 5 numbers and the letter "J" for a total of 6 characters.

In 1982/83 - S&W resumed the "floating J" starting with 1J10000 but this time with six numerical digits plus the letter "J".

In 1984 - S&W changed to 3-alpha/4-numeric format . . . so the floating J sank......!lol

Edit: Forgot to mention the grips. On the right grip panel, you should see the serial number stamped in the wood. Having the serial number stamped on the grips, would mean the grips are original to the gun. The grips should clean up nicely, and unless you are going to shoot it a lot, I would not replace the grips.

I'd leave it just as it is. Refinishing almost always ends up with edges being rounded during buffing. You can always get it reblued in the future, but you can never return to original once it's done.

:thumb:

@Leatherhead only responds to PM with naked selfies

Sometimes he sends the selfies as a response too. I got this one the other day from him.

leatherhead.jpg

The grips are heavily worn, no way they will "clean up" without recutting them.

If they number to the gun, they have value, remove them and store them in the gun's box and put new grips on for use. Removing grips is routine maintenance on those guns, so no additional steps involved in replacing them.

Heck, I do not shoot Garands in 70 year old stocks if they have readable cartouches, I have newer, far less valuable stocks on hand for that. Far too easy to crack or damage old wood.

Back
Top Bottom