• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should I One Day, Donate Collection to the CMP

I have recently turned 65, am in excellent heath and plan to live to 100, but am in the situation that when I depart this world, I will have no heirs to pass on my stuff. Consequently, I have been thinking about donating my Springfield Armory 1922 Training Rifle collection to a museum of organization that would display them so others could enjoy them.

I would like to keep it in the southeast, were guns and their history are still appreciated and not likely to end up being destroyed by some damn liberal. I have thought the CMP's Marksmanship Park might be an ideal location.

What think you?

Art
Reach out to whatever organization you are considering and discuss what you would like to have happen to your collection. Do you want them displayed for future generations? If so, get an agreement in writing from them. I'm maybe a bit cynical, but I wouldn't want my collection to be divided up amoung a few in the organization for their personal gain if your intention was for them to do otherwise. Just my $0.02.

Nice gesture by the way. :thumb:

Reach out to whatever organization you are considering and discuss what you would like to have happen to your collection. Do you want them displayed for future generations? If so, get an agreement in writing from them. I'm maybe a bit cynical, but I wouldn't want my collection to be divided up amoung a few in the organization for their personal gain if your intention was for them to do otherwise. Just my $0.02.

Nice gesture by the way. :thumb:
The org may not accept stipulations on what happens to the items during any future deaccession sale.

I have recently turned 65, am in excellent heath and plan to live to 100, but am in the situation that when I depart this world, I will have no heirs to pass on my stuff. Consequently, I have been thinking about donating my Springfield Armory 1922 Training Rifle collection to a museum of organization that would display them so others could enjoy them.

I would like to keep it in the southeast, were guns and their history are still appreciated and not likely to end up being destroyed by some damn liberal. I have thought the CMP's Marksmanship Park might be an ideal location.

What think you?

Art
We are about the same age. Me fear is before I am gone they will be collected and crushed. Leaving mine to the resistance, if there is one.

What think you?

Art
But, Uncle Art?!?!?! :confused: ;)

I will be in 'somewhat' the same situation one day (generic relatively modern arms, nothing with any historical or museum value). I have some 'extended' family (nephews, great nephews) that may enjoy some of them but that might be wishful thinking on my part. I hope I have the presence of mind prior to that day to give what I can and sell the rest to folks that will continue to appreciate them.

So my advice would be gradually get rid of what you are not likely to use any longer and keep as little possible for disposition after you've moved on with as specific instructions as possible in your will.

Back
Top Bottom