• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

• Total voters
Having a gun on your person does not make you armed. Having a gun on your person, the training to effectively use it, and the knowledge of your rights makes you armed
That's not what the gooberment says. Simply having a gun in your possession makes you "armed" . The other May be considered " armed and dangerous" if they didn't like you...lol...

I said yes for two very important reasons ...

1. I think that you should always seek training and try to be as good as you possibly can at everything you endeavor to do .... especially when it could save your life.
2. Because I'm a multiple discipline NRA certified instructor that likes to earn a little extra money ;)

Please read the question carefully.

Should people seek training (not "Be required to") if they are going to carry a handgun for personal protection?

If you voted yes, please state why. If you voted no, please state why.

Note: I am not looking to turn this into a "Shall not infringe, yap, yap, yap" because if you read the question carefully, you would have noticed the question in it's perfection.

I have seen too many idiots at a gun range who do not know how to properly handle their weapon. I've been swept multiple times, seen too many accidental discharges, etc. If you are going to carry, taking a class with actual quality instruction not only helps you become familiar with your own weapon, but helps make you a better marksman.
Taking willr1's street survival course taught me many things. I used to carry tuft of my back for profiling reasons. We did a scenario where an attacker was 12 ft away and came running at me with a knife. I am a fairly proficient shooter but at 12 feet, when my adrenaline set in and it was a do/die moment, I was unable to draw my weapon in time. Something you would think to be simple suddenly became quite difficult. Training under high stress scenarios is a good way to prepare for the real thing. I often times practice my dry firing drills...now I use a jump rope and jump in place for 30 seconds before practicing the same drill.
To make a long story short, there are many variables one cannot account for until they are in a SHTF moment, and when that happens you will wish you would have better prepared. You can't be prepared for everything, but you can take the proper precautions to be as prepared as possible.

I had to throw a guy out of a range in Las Vegas because he was repeatedly scratching his head with the end of the barrel of his gun between shots .... I stopped him and showed him what he was doing and why it was a bad idea once(should probably have been obvious), reminded him once and then ejected him so he didn't shoot himself in the temple (on my watch anyway)

I have seen too many idiots at a gun range who do not know how to properly handle their weapon. I've been swept multiple times, seen too many accidental discharges, etc. If you are going to carry, taking a class with actual quality instruction not only helps you become familiar with your own weapon, but helps make you a better marksman.
Taking willr1's street survival course taught me many things. I used to carry tuft of my back for profiling reasons. We did a scenario where an attacker was 12 ft away and came running at me with a knife. I am a fairly proficient shooter but at 12 feet, when my adrenaline set in and it was a do/die moment, I was unable to draw my weapon in time. Something you would think to be simple suddenly became quite difficult. Training under high stress scenarios is a good way to prepare for the real thing. I often times practice my dry firing drills...now I use a jump rope and jump in place for 30 seconds before practicing the same drill.
To make a long story short, there are many variables one cannot account for until they are in a SHTF moment, and when that happens you will wish you would have better prepared. You can't be prepared for everything, but you can take the proper precautions to be as prepared as possible.

Another great way to practice "under stress" is doing some shooting somewhere that does a lot of full auto rentals ;)

I said yes for two very important reasons ...

1. I think that you should always seek training and try to be as good as you possibly can at everything you endeavor to do .... especially when it could save your life.
2. Because I'm a multiple discipline NRA certified instructor that likes to earn a little extra money ;)

And this is why firearms instructors (mostly NRA and retired LEO) lobbied so heavily years ago along with the democrats to have the training requirement in Tennessee.

I strongly desire individuals to train on how to use, and respect firearms. But, I wouldn't chose, nor desire training to be imposed upon them.

Back
Top Bottom