• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

• Total voters
I said yes for two very important reasons ...

1. I think that you should always seek training and try to be as good as you possibly can at everything you endeavor to do .... especially when it could save your life.
2. Because I'm a multiple discipline NRA certified instructor that likes to earn a little extra money ;)

How would you like to count on teaching as your primary income to provide for your family for the past 5 or 6 years?

And this is why firearms instructors (mostly NRA and retired LEO) lobbied so heavily years ago along with the democrats to have the training requirement in Tennessee.

I strongly desire individuals to train on how to use, and respect firearms. But, I wouldn't chose, nor desire training to be imposed upon them.

While very few Instructors train full-time, in my experience most of those who I've come in contact with who teach part-time do like to make a little extra money but are primarily driven by a sincere desire to help others be safe & become proficient. Money is a less significant part of their motivation.

Whenever the subject comes up people go, "AH-HA!! This guy is trying to get rich off of teaching people about firearms."

No one that I know is getting wealthy off of training & very few are even making between 4 to 5 figures.

I've been very fortunate to have done the volume that my school has done & couldn't have without the word of mouth & good publicity from my alumni. (Thanks again guys!)

I've had single moms from abusive domestic situations & rape victims who came to me in tears wanting to learn who were either given instruction (& practice gun w/ammo) for free or the compensation, after the number of hours were divided into the pay, wound up being well under minimum wage. Many other Instructors will relate similar stories.

My point is that most Instructors that I know are not driven by the money but are mainly driven by sincerity & a recognition of how important the training is.

That's the difficulty with the internet... things get lost in the translation.

My misunderstanding.
I'm always meaning to take a good conceal carry based class with you, but I hardly have any time at all and I restricted from carrying pretty much everywhere I go with school and gov buildings. I haven't carried my CCW for almost a year now actually.

Yes, training should be a high considation, not a mandate. Buying a hammer does not make you a carpenter. Figuring out how to drive a nail on your own does not make you ready to build your own house. If one wants to own a gun to defend themselves, that life or death moment should not be the time that they have to figure it all out.

I'm always meaning to take a good conceal carry based class with you, but I hardly have any time at all and I restricted from carrying pretty much everywhere I go with school and gov buildings. I haven't carried my CCW for almost a year now actually.

That has to be frustrating. If you feel like giving yourself a "mini-vacation" sometime, come up to the range one day & we can do some drills to raise your skillsets.

That has to be frustrating. If you feel like giving yourself a "mini-vacation" sometime, come up to the range one day & we can do some drills to raise your skillsets.

I got a friend who would probably like to take some classes with me as well, I'll try and get us both up there. I'm thinking of trying out my Glock 19 instead of the 33 I usually carry I've gotten used to carrying larger guns.

Just applied for my carry permit yesterday. I am planing on working in some time for training between now and when the permit shows up. I just can't see any logical reason to not learn from those with experience. Most everything else I have learned from trial and error with heavy emphasis on the error. I will make an exception in this case :)

Last edited:
I got a friend who would probably like to take some classes with me as well, I'll try and get us both up there. I'm thinking of trying out my Glock 19 instead of the 33 I usually carry I've gotten used to carrying larger guns.

With one single exception out of probably hundreds of shooters, everyone who has started Basic with a sub-compact switched to the mid size or full size at some point during the range session. A very high percentage of the people who have came through have said that it changed their life. My first formal class had that effect on me.

It has been fun to watch several members on here that I've worked with reach a level of proficiency they never imagined possible.

A Dr. who was from a long line of hunters but had little experience with pistols warned me that he just couldn't shoot a pistol well at all & just wanted to at least be more comfortable for very close range. He now shoots at a level way beyond his expectations. he did an advanced class with some of my best guys & had no problem keeping up.
More importantly, he is way better prepared to recognize & avoid threats or if necessary, know when & how to use lethal force UNDER STRESS to protect himself & his family.

Good stuff....

Back
Top Bottom