• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

• Total voters
I believe that if you want to take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm, then you need to make the effort to learn about firearm safety and everything you can regarding handguns.
I teach class every week and the majority of my students are new to the gun world but are serious in wanting to learn all that they can with an end goal in mind of applying for a Georgia Weapons License and eventually carrying a firearm. These people I applaud and respect. On the other side, I see people who come into the range every week who are already in possession of a Georgia Weapons License and still put the bullets in their magazines backwards. It is absolutely "eye opening" the amount of Licensed Gun Carriers I see on a regular basis that really do not know what they are doing, have no formal or even informal training...(like a Dad, or a Grand Dad), and strap on a side arm every day!!

I'm always meaning to take a good conceal carry based class with you, but I hardly have any time at all and I restricted from carrying pretty much everywhere I go with school and gov buildings. I haven't carried my CCW for almost a year now actually.

I thought you were a Rebel??.......LMAO!!

I have seen a lot of people with carry permits that do not know how to handle a weapon (not even just a gun) properly or safely. I will leave it at that

Hopefully people who get their carry permit are at least familiar with their chosen firearm.
That said, I can not see any reason people should not seek to learn as much as possible
about the responsibilities of carrying and marksmanship. IDPA shoots are excellent venues
to train oneself.

Choice is a bit cut and dry (hence the problem with lawmaking sometimes)

Personally, I don't think some jakeleg who's never handled a weapon in their lives should go out and buy a handgun. I'm sure there's some safety conscious folks who could go that route just fine though.

My daddy taught me how to handle and operate firearms, as i'm sure a LOT of the older guys on here learned the same way.
I was taught to use a gun as a mechanical tool LONG before I understood that most folks think of firearms as weapons.
YES people who hunt and have shot a living creature before are generally better at handling firearms, and generally safer- they know how much damage the tool can do.

Moral is, I don't want an idiot around me with a sharp pointy object, let alone a gun. Lucky for me, the good lord gave me two legs and a brain- if I feel like im in danger, i'll leave. I feel no reason to FORCE folks to be State educated to own or handle a firearm. Statistically, i'm more likely to be eaten by a shark or struck by lightning than shot accidentally at a firing range, shopping mall, movie theater, etc.

Fists are a weapon too, a pretty old and highly effective one. Amusingly enough, i'm also more likely to be beat to death than shot.

So I say if someone feels they are personally responsible enough to buy a firearm, that's good enough for me. I trust them on the road, and it's worked out so far (a place you spend alot of time and claims far more lives annually than just about anything else accidental).

Sorry for the rant :p

Back
Top Bottom