• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

• Total voters
Most people would assume firearms training I guess. Should you receive any sort of training? When I purchase a new platform, the first thing I do is learn everything about it I can...training. I regularly remind myself of safe handling practices when handling firearms...training. I enjoy learning new tactics for defense via firearm...training.

X2

I think anyone who has never held a firearm should at least seek some kind of safety training, should it be law no.

I think that someone that has never handled a gun and knows nothing about the laws regarding open / concealed carry and use of deadly force should definitely get some training or at least do a lot of research.

Should you be required to get training before you can buy a gun??? NO

If a person has no knowledge of firearms, they should seek training prior to purchasing a firearm and obtaining a concealed weapons permit/license. In order to be a responsible firearms owner, an individual must have a working knowledge of how his defensive arm functions and how to safely, legally and responsibly handle and deploy it. It does not have to be formal or professional training. It could easily be a knowledgeable friend, co-worker or a willing fellow shooter at the range. I would never turn down someone at the range asking for assistance or training. However, I do not in any way believe that professional or formal training should be "required by law"! Since the Supreme Court ruled that the right to bear arms is individual, the responsibility to learning firearm safety and proficiency is also individual. Practice to maintain proficiency is an integral part of that responsibility!

IMHO...........Just Sayin'!

Last edited:
I'm sure I will get attacked for this statement but what else is new. Here's my take. Should you be required to? No because in my eyes it is a wedge in between you and the 2nd Amendment. However... I think it would be a great program for the state and counties to offer a "reduced" CCW Permit fee if you take said course. I'm not talking about hiking up the rate higher than it is now for people who choose not to take a class, but offer a discount. Say 20% off if you take a certification course. I personally did not take a "course" my uncle and father carry every day and I was brought up around guns. Proper gun etiquette is second nature to me. Just simple common sense things that I see beginners at the ranges missing. Loading off the firing line, not keeping the weapon pointed down range, not checking the chamber and ETC. When i first made the choice to start carrying I didn't just strap on my gun and go out into the world, but that was my choice. I slowly started carrying more and more till I was comfortable with my self and the gun to the point that I didn't worry about having it with me, it was a part of me. The thing about carrying a gun is that it is a very personal choice. What works for some doesn't work for others. But, when I see people being stupid with guns, not intentionally but because they don't know any better, it hurts the whole group of us. With that said, I'm sure Bypass will have something to say about my comments, he always does ;)

Most people would assume firearms training I guess. Should you receive any sort of training? When I purchase a new platform, the first thing I do is learn everything about it I can...training. I regularly remind myself of safe handling practices when handling firearms...training. I enjoy learning new tactics for defense via firearm...training.

People who assume make asses of themselves. I have repeatedly said that I think people should know their weapon and be familar with it. That should be common sense to any gun owner.

People who assume make asses of themselves. I have repeatedly said that I think people should know their weapon and be familar with it. That should be common sense to any gun owner.

I know that when I get a new gun the first thing I do is tear it down and put it back together. Go online and read all I can on it. Watch youtube videos and then go to the range and shoot the gun. I learn where the trigger breaks, how stiff the safety is and any other quirks about the gun. I think most firearm owners are are the same way. I do know that there are people out there that could care less how a 1911 or a glock works as long as it works. They don't care about all the technical side of the gun or the rules they just want a gun because its the "cool" thing to do or its "rebellion" against the government or what ever their reasoning are. Have we even defined what a responsible gun owner is yet? I'm kinda late to the party.

I have repeatedly said that I think people should know their weapon and be familar with it.

You continue to spew uneducated phrases. That is not training. Most, if not all training schools will not teach you about your weapon and how it works or how to service it as standard curriculum. Show up at any training school and tell them you do not know how to operate your weapon. They will politely tell you to GTFO, maybe in a nice way, maybe not.

People that failed to make that assumption made asses of themselves.

You continue to spew uneducated phrases. That is not training. Most, if not all training schools will not teach you about your weapon and how it works or how to service it as standard curriculum. Show up at any training school and tell them you do not know how to operate your weapon. They will politely tell you to GTFO, maybe in a nice way, maybe not.

So Protective Measures would kick me out if I showed up and said "I'm new to firearms, I bought this Glock today and don't know a thing about it. Can you train me to be proficient and knowledgable with my weapon?"

So Protective Measures would kick me out if I showed up and said "I'm new to firearms, I bought this Glock today and don't know a thing about it. Can you train me to be proficient and knowledgable with my weapon?"

After having had a few brief conversations with Monty... Heck no he wouldn't! He takes time more so than other "instructors" I've observed, or heard about, to dissect the fundamentals... And the nomiclature of the firearm for an overall understanding.

Back
Top Bottom