• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

• Total voters
After having had a few brief conversations with Monty... Heck no he wouldn't! He takes time more so than other "instructors" I've observed, or heard about, to dissect the fundamentals... And the nomiclature of the firearm for an overall understanding.

I didn't think he would nor do I think the majority of firearms instructors would tell someone to GTFO for not knowing. Isn't that what training is for??

No. Monte would not. It was an overexaggerated way to prove the point. Calm down you two. Monte would spend an entire class showing you every piece of a Glock. You should know that. Hes an armorer.

Last edited:
If you showed up for an intermediate class and had no clue, you would be gone. (not speaking for Monte) If you showed up for a beginners class that has classroom and theory time you would be more than welcome in most cases. "Training schools" in the context that the OP used suggests having more than a basic knowledge and training for more than a beginners skills. As much as I still think he has some "agenda". :)

You continue to spew uneducated phrases. That is not training. Most, if not all training schools will not teach you about your weapon and how it works or how to service it as standard curriculum. Show up at any training school and tell them you do not know how to operate your weapon. They will politely tell you to GTFO, maybe in a nice way, maybe not.
So you should have put in your poll that the training you were discussing was formal training with an instructor before owning a gun. I think it would have turned out differently. I figured that is what you meant and voted no accordingly.

If you showed up for an intermediate class and had no clue, you would be gone. (not speaking for Monte) If you showed up for a beginners class that has classroom and theory time you would be more than welcome in most cases. "Training schools" in the context that the OP used suggests having more than a basic knowledge and training for more than a beginners skills. As much as I still think he has some "agenda". :)
What agenda do you suspect I have? If it makes you feel any better I will tell you exactly why I brought this poll to the forefront. I have done well over 350 trades here with people on the forum and many times have felt unsafe due to their neglegent handling of firearms. In my mind, I can only translate that to them defending themselves or me and my family out in public and it's a scary thought I honestly.

Last edited:
However... I think it would be a great program for the state and counties to offer a "reduced" CCW Permit fee if you take said course. I'm not talking about hiking up the rate higher than it is now for people who choose not to take a class, but offer a discount. Say 20% off if you take a certification course.

This I could support but I would ask for NO FEE. We who take the personal effort and endure an incurred risk in order to assist in public safety should never be charged for that service we provide. The strongest deterrent to crime is the armed citizen.

Honest armed citizens are a force multiplier not a liability as some would bleat.

Offering a no charge fee for carry permit for those who attended "recommended training" would be a slow step toward restoring our rights. It would promote gun safety, rather than dictating and holding individual rights hostage to it as well as allowing the potential for abuse such as the "fee" for the permit has become.

Last edited:
You continue to spew uneducated phrases. That is not training. Most, if not all training schools will not teach you about your weapon and how it works or how to service it as standard curriculum. Show up at any training school and tell them you do not know how to operate your weapon. They will politely tell you to GTFO, maybe in a nice way, maybe not.

If this were to happen in an advanced or intermediate class at DTK, and it has despite the questions asked before one signs up for a class.
We simply tell folks that the level of training conducted in this class requires a foundation that they have not acquired yet and for everyone's safety, (theirs included) they should take the course outlining the proper care and use of a firearm first. Then we give them a discount card for the beginner's class because that conversation usually pisses people off for some strange reason no matter how polite you are.

But I get where you're coming from.

That's all cool and all but the problem is that I never mentioned that it should be required. I think about 100% of the people that keep referring to "REQUIRE" didn't read my post or comprehend it.
I think the word after should is the operative one. "Should seek" Very easy and obvious yes. People in my opinion should seek knowledge and experience regarding carrying a firearm. Wow. Seek!

Back
Top Bottom