• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

• Total voters
This I could support but I would ask for NO FEE. We who take the personal effort and endure an incurred risk in order to assist in public safety should never be charged for that service we provide. The strongest deterrent to crime is the armed citizen.

Honest armed citizens are a force multiplier not a liability as some would bleat.

Offering a no charge fee for carry permit for those who attended "recommended training" would be a slow step toward restoring our rights. It would promote gun safety, rather than dictating and holding individual rights hostage to it as well as allowing the potential for abuse such as the "fee" for the permit has become.

Excellent post. Great idea.

What agenda do you suspect I have? If it makes you feel any better I will tell you exactly why I brought this poll to the forefront. I have done well over 350 trades here with people on the forum and many times have felt unsafe due to their neglegent handling of firearms. In my mind, I can only translate that to them defending themselves or me and my family out in public and it's a scary thought I honestly.

Why would you trade or sell to someone that you felt uncomfortable about? Did you tell them they should seek training?

Why would you trade or sell to someone that you felt uncomfortable about? Did you tell them they should seek training?

I don't typically drive an hour or more to meet someone for a deal only to back out because they may considered "less than safe" in my opinion. Most of the time, it's after the trade that I get "Hey, check out what I carry" or "Hey man, check out what I just picked up", then I get muzzle swept, sometimes with a loaded weapon. I am not there to spend time shooting with them and make them proficient. I am there to trade. The end.

But yes, I've made it a point NUMEROUS times to discuss and suggest that the individual get training, somewhere, somehow.

I don't typically drive an hour to meet someone for a deal and back out because they may considered "less than safe" in my opinion. I am not there to spend time shooting with them. I am there to trade. The end.

But yes, I've made it a point NUMEROUS times to discuss and suggest that the individual get training, somewhere, somehow.

Mam,......your baby........yea, it's ugly as sin. Man, how does that go over for you when you tell people they need training during a trade?

Mam,......your baby........yea, it's ugly as sin. Man, how does that go over for you when you tell people they need training during a trade?

I don't discuss it at every single trade but most people that I have ever gotten into the discussion about training with all seem to say "Man, I am going to have to look into that" or something similar. A lot of times, it just comes up and I usually chime in by stating that "Training is always a good thing and I think that everyone who carries should consider it because the rewards are greater than not." Never have I ever been compensated by any training school, ever. Hell, I pay to train just like everyone else I know. Monte doesn't give me free classes if that's what some of you think.

Last edited:
I don't discuss it at every single trade but most people that I have ever gotten into the discussion about training with all seem to say "Man, I am going to have to look into that" or something similar. A lot of times, it just comes up and I usually chime in by stating that "Training is always a good thing and I think that everyone who carries should consider it because the rewards are greater than not." Never have I ever been compensated by any training school, ever. Hell, I pay to train just like everyone else I know. Monte doesn't give me free classes if that's what some of you think.

I didn't try to imply anything if I came off that way and I have no thought on why you do anything, nor am I trying to start anything. I was just imagining a conversation.

So this is it.
man that's nice, just as you said.
yea, I try to be honest.
woooo, hold up there dude.....you need training!

Fact is I agree with you on training, it's never bad. Even the worst class I've been in was good training.

I didn't try to imply anything if I came off that way and I have no thought on why you do anything, nor am I trying to start anything. I was just imagining a conversation.

So this is it.
man that's nice, just as you said.
yea, I try to be honest.
woooo, hold up there dude.....you need training!

Fact is I agree with you on training, it's never bad. Even the worst class I've been in was good training.
It doesn't quite go down like that but it has been very close a couple of times. It's more from the angle of "Have you considered training?", which opens dialog.

A point for consideration, CCW along with shaneadams90, are two alumni that are at the forefront of the safest gunhandlers that I've had the pleasure of training with.
They both exaggerate every aspect of their handling so as to not become complacent & violate even one of the 4 safety rules... and they are both crackshots.

It never ceases to amaze me the people, even former military & L.E., that aren't safe or proficient in their handling, manipulations, or accuracy.
Just because someone has been handling firearms their whole life doesn't mean they've been doing it right.
I think every experienced Instructor who has trained or been involved in training numerous personnel would agree the hardest people to train are those who have "range scars" due to using improper techniques for many years.

At my school we make a big distinction between shooting a gun vs. fighting with one. Most any 10 year old child can shoot a gun.... but can they fight with one during the adrenaline dump of a closequarters attack in low-light from a violent criminal who is experienced in killing (or at least extreme violence) & fully committed to killing you PLUS has the advantage of attacking you by surprise?

By far the majority of gunowners are woefully unprepared to recognize dangerous situations/ predatory behavior, use a gun in a deadly fight, or deal with the aftermath relating to proper or improper use of deadly force. It frustrates me that people will carry a gun but have ZERO knowledge of when the use of it is justified legally. That is inexcusable & irresponsible.

Marty Hayes wrote an article about the need for training a few years back that really resonated with me as it relates to our students and anyone who owns or carries a firearm for self-defense.
He asked the question, "What makes you qualified to defend yourself & your family?
If you had a serious, deadly threat against yourself & family, would you hire yourself to defend against that attack?"

Talk about food for thought...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom