• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should the Free FFL Transfers Continue????

I can only tell you how I look at it as a customer.
Cherokee Gun and Pawn do transfers free no matter what or how much ($) you spend, so if I need a transfer , that's where I go
At the same time since they helped me with a transfer, I am going to respond by buying ammo, holsters, slings etc there...they help me, I help them.
Just a little good will in both directions.
It also makes me stop in there every time I go by just to see what's new and I usually leave with something ammo, cleaning supplies etc.
Thought I have paid 20.00 before I found CG&P, I would not patronize a place that charged more as it only takes a few minutes to complete the paperwork.
Additionally, if I pay a fee for transfer, then I feel no obligation to further purchase ammo, accessories etc. from the same place.

This x 10

Little things like this make a huge difference when there are 50 gun shops we can go to.

I did not know you guys were local, I am in you neck of the woods often, always looking for deals/gear and have cash to spend.

You just got a new customer from this post.

Now, either free or $10 would be the ticket. My club charges me $20 (Sandy Springs) as I am a member there, but it takes almost 2 minutes for me to fill out the form, as I do it frequently, and give them my drivers license and carry permit. Another 3-5 on their side to look it over, make a copy and hand it back.

I am looking at a Norcross Range that does free transfers if you are a member, so my $350/yr membership is worth more there.

As someone said earlier, the small things do mean a lot in a competitive business environment. If you are Adventure outdoors, charge the fee and not care if anyone complains, but a smaller, hungrier company needs an advantage. (Gripes me they charge credit card fee (3%) for debit card, so I go outside and buy it online (no fee) and go back inside to pick it up).

My 2 cents.

I can only tell you how I look at it as a customer.
Cherokee Gun and Pawn do transfers free no matter what or how much ($) you spend, so if I need a transfer , that's where I go
At the same time since they helped me with a transfer, I am going to respond by buying ammo, holsters, slings etc there...they help me, I help them.
Just a little good will in both directions.
It also makes me stop in there every time I go by just to see what's new and I usually leave with something ammo, cleaning supplies etc.
Though I have paid 20.00 before I found CG&P, I would not patronize a place that charged more as it only takes a few minutes to complete the paperwork.
Additionally, if I pay a fee for transfer, then I feel no obligation to further purchase ammo, accessories etc. from the same place.

Couldn't have said it any better, I usually end up spending more than $20 in CG&P after my free transfer anyways lol.

I just called Cherokee Gun and Pawn about a free transfer for a deal on Bud's online I wanted...they said, 'Sure no problem...but let me look to see if I can give you the same deal on the gun youre looking for...' Sure enough, I am not buying it from Bud's now and Cherokee Gun is getting my money.

This is the main reason for you to keep doing and advertising Free FFL Transfers.....You can steal the business away from online sites if you can match the deal!!!!

Agree with what everyone is posting above. I go to a local Pawn Shop for transfers because they only charge $25, others on this side of town get $50. Guess who gets my follow on business for cleaning supplies, ammo, accessories, ammo, scopes, ammo, etc.

Another thing to think about - what about promoting an organization or cause as part of the transfer? As in, "Free transfers with proof of NRA membership" (or GCO, or Current MIL/LEO,or with valid carry permit as this eliminates the need for a call in)

I just called Cherokee Gun and Pawn about a free transfer for a deal on Bud's online I wanted...they said, 'Sure no problem...but let me look to see if I can give you the same deal on the gun youre looking for...' Sure enough, I am not buying it from Bud's now and Cherokee Gun is getting my money.

This is the main reason for you to keep doing and advertising Free FFL Transfers.....You can steal the business away from online sites if you can match the deal!!!!

Same thing happened to me. I was buying a .357 cowboy combo...they got close enough on the rifle that I just had them order it. The revolver they couldn't match the deal I got, but they still did the free transfer. When it was all said and done, I spent more on ammo there than I saved on the transfer fees. Win-win. It's a little out of my way, but it's worth the drive for me.

In short, it's a no-brainer. Free transfers all the way. You'll make more from the extra customers spending transfer money on something else than you'll lose by charging not $10-20 for a transfer.

Last edited:

Same thing happened to me. I was buying a .357 cowboy combo...they got close enough on the rifle that I just had them order it. The revolver they couldn't match the deal I got, but they still did the free transfer. When it was all said and done, I spent more on ammo there than I saved on the transfer fees. Win-win. It's a little out of my way, but it's worth the drive for me.

In short, it's a no-brainer. Free transfers all the way. You'll make more from the extra customers spending transfer money on something else than you'll lose by charging not $10-20 for a transfer.

You know Aaron said in the begining of this thread he's still offering free transfers. Armed with the info. that Cherokee was willing to match Bud's price I'd have been on the phone to Aaron at Hereos Tactical to see if he could do the same or even beat Bud's and Cherokee's price. I don't know if he does that but the tone of this thread being he's willing to give free transfers I'd be willing to bet he might. Heck he's already been giving free transfers for some time now as a thank you to the members here in this forum.

Charge enough to cover the phone background fee and provide the rest as a service to your potential clients. Kaufman tire will patch a flat free of charge no matter where you bought your tires. I usually buy tires from them. It's good business sense.

Back
Top Bottom