• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should your carbine be on "safe" during a mag change?

I like watching Pat's videos. He's comes off as a coked out maniac but he knows his stuff. Having said that, he's also got to create content to keep the social media machine rolling so he has to "find" things to talk about or re-assess techniques and the more controversial the better. I bet if someone had asked his opinion on this 5 years ago he'd have had a very different answer.

My glock doesn't have a thumb safety.
Those are extra parts you dont need.

If you practice keeping your booger hook off the bang switch ,and keeping finger straight against receiver above trigger during magazine swaps on rifle.....

you might look like you know something .

If he teaches people to sweep their feet like he does and holster a sidearm by pointing a loaded pistol at their femur he is going to get someone crippled or killed. Real professionals do not sweep themselves or other things they do not want to destroy.

Why put on safe for a transition to pistol?

Typically, wouldn't one only transition if the rifle was dead? So if dead, why safety?
No. There are other times transitioning to pistol would be called for. Habitually putting it on safe during transition is a good idea.

If you are willing to bet your life that no foreign object Ike a piece of shirt,or belt loop or cord or branch goes into the trigger guard when you point the pistol at your leg and shove it in the holster then take the gamble.
I see people holstering guns every week while pointing at their leg and foot. I carried an experienced guy off the range recently who did it and everything else looked right except I think a shirt or something engaged the trigger on a gun that has an manual safety.
I know the gun was holstered the proper orientation because the round blew out the bottom of the holster from bullet strike or expanding gasses.

Some people think the four rules don’t be important but they do.

Back on topic, I would not engage safety on reload if planning to continue firing. 45 or 60 degree safety would make it easier but muzzle and trigger discipline will keep things safe.

I removed the saftey off my rifle, much like lots if people do on the pistols. My safety is my trigger finger.

Back
Top Bottom