• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should your carbine be on "safe" during a mag change?

In Russia, the safety puts on you...

During reloads? That is another point of failure in the firing sequence. See the brass in pocket above.

If the rifle is empty or jammed, and you are needing to shoot people a lot, drop it and transition to pistol. No need to engage safety.

If the rifle is live and going out of grip for whatever reason, ABSOLUTELY engage the safety.

A saftey nearly got me killed one time in a combat situation. I don't like them. I'd rather see training in muzzle awareness and when you really need to use a safety. Like when you are low crawling through brush or flinging a firearm around to access a secondary.

I do have a story to tell about safeties though.

In Iraq in 04 while working with ODA 515 we had some drivers we aquisitioned from 2nd ACR. A E-2 private was driving my vehicle while I was in the turret. We were outside of a small village getting ready to search it for one of Muqtada Al Sadrs second in command. The private decided to stick his barrel out the window with the weapon on full and he accidentally hung his trigger on his LBE and unloaded half a magazine into the desert. That would have been a good use of a safety. ODA captain ripped that kid a new one but our mission was successful regardless. Needless to say we got a new driver.

Meanwhile, that E2 went back to the barracks and bragged about getting out of convoy duty permanently, all it too was half a mag and an ass chewing from some 8up captain.

If he teaches people to sweep their feet like he does and holster a sidearm by pointing a loaded pistol at their femur he is going to get someone crippled or killed. Real professionals do not sweep themselves or other things they do not want to destroy.
Is this in a video or did you maybe see this in a class? If it’s a video could you post a link?

I’m sorry, but when working in tight quarters it is common to sweep body parts, especially lower extremities. When I’m at work, my holstered handgun routinely sweeps my right lower leg, as well as body parts of other folks.

If I have to draw and engage from a seated position, depending on which direction I’m engaging in, I’ll sweep one or both of my thighs during presentation.

Try to work with a handgun in your hand on a loaded aircraft and NOT sweep someone. Nearly impossible. It’s possible only if you spend so much time concentrating on your own muzzle that are unable to do your job.

Clearing tight quarters in a team, using M4’s, and an unknown number of feet and lower legs will get swept.

Finger off the trigger.

Here is the Readers Digest version: there is no such thing as a safe direction. Bullets will impact something either sooner or later. Work until your trigger finger control is absolutely reflexive. Cooper's 4 rules boil down to 2: Control your muzzle AND control your trigger finger. Sweeping is not ideal HOWEVER if your booger hook is off the bang switch it is a non-issue. Train my Brothers, as it is a training issue!

there is a lot on YouTube with guys shooting and quickly flicking the safety on. i suppose it looks hsld cool, but its only good for videos. you wint be doing it with an ak, or any hk. its nonsensical. you take your finger off the trigger if you want tp male the rifle immediately safe

Back
Top Bottom