• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should....

The answer to that question is easy, it will become like the basketball version of March Madness. Regular season does not count as long as you win enough to get into the playoffs. Taking a game off to rest your players at the end of the year, sure why not, we are a lock for the playoffs.

Why do you think that? There are a lot more basketball games and by default mean less. There are only 12 or 13 games in football.

I am not asking WILL they I am asking SHOULD they.

Yes, yes they should. But what should happen is not what is going to happen unless FSU or OSU lose and Auburn wins out. Look at it this way, SHOULD Notre Dame been given a chance to play for the title last year? My opinion, NO! They were not even a good team.

Yes, yes they should. But what should happen is not what is going to happen unless FSU or OSU lose and Auburn wins out. Look at it this way, SHOULD Notre Dame been given a chance to play for the title last year? My opinion, NO! They were not even a good team.

Last year I would have loved to see a UGA and Bama rematch. I completely agree that Ohio State will play in the NC if they remain undefeated. I was just thowing the should out there and getting everyones thoughts.

Why do you think that? There are a lot more basketball games and by default mean less. There are only 12 or 13 games in football.

Well. right here in Atlanta, a couple of years ago when Tech was going to play for the ACC championship, a writer asked Coach Paul Johnston about the loss suffered by Tech at the hands of UGA, which is the last game before the Championship game. I will have to paraphrase because I do not remember the exact quote, but it was something like, "We at Tech are about winning divisions, ACC Championships and National Championships.". So, guess what, that last game, did not really mean much to ole Paul. It will only get worse now. Do you think that FSU would have played it's starters today against Florida if they had already sewn up a spot in the "playoffs". Do you really think that ANY team that has a playoff spot sewn up will play it's starters and risk losing them for the playoffs. Yes, basketball has more games, but football is more violent and an injury to a QB let's say, could be devastating. You see it in baseball, basketball, Pro Football and now you will see it in NCAA Football. Yeah playoffs. (sarcasm button temporarily not working)

Well. right here in Atlanta, a couple of years ago when Tech was going to play for the ACC championship, a writer asked Coach Paul Johnston about the loss suffered by Tech at the hands of UGA, which is the last game before the Championship game. I will have to paraphrase because I do not remember the exact quote, but it was something like, "We at Tech are about winning divisions, ACC Championships and National Championships.". So, guess what, that last game, did not really mean much to ole Paul. It will only get worse now. Do you think that FSU would have played it's starters today against Florida if they had already sewn up a spot in the "playoffs". Do you really think that ANY team that has a playoff spot sewn up will play it's starters and risk losing them for the playoffs. Yes, basketball has more games, but football is more violent and an injury to a QB let's say, could be devastating. You see it in baseball, basketball, Pro Football and now you will see it in NCAA Football. Yeah playoffs. (sarcasm button temporarily not working)

You cant compare pro to college ball. There are no divisions in college with standings. Also do you really think that if a team that lost their last game will be a shoe in for a four team playoff? The other sports you cited have a lot more teams competing for a championship.

Last edited:
I can't think of a team that could have lost today and still be guaranteed a top 4 ranking. you're comparing apples to oranges.

There are no divisions in college with standings

Springfield, are you kidding. The Divisions are there now, and will be combined more in the future. Next year is just the first year of the playoffs, with 4 teams. What happens when it goes to 6 or 8 or maybe 10. Pac 10, Big Ten, SEC, ACC and some of the smaller conferences will be swallowed up, those are your divisions. It is already happening.

Yeah, you are correct Fat Albert about this year. But when the playoffs expand to 6, 8 or 10 games, look back at this year and remember the FSU vs Florida game. Several years from now, you will not see the starters in the game but for about a minute. With the playoffs, you don't have to win every game, just enough games to get into the playoffs. Oh yeah, bring on them playoffs. (Dang, sarcasm button is still not working)

There are no divisions in college with standings

Springfield, are you kidding. The Divisions are there now, and will be combined more in the future. Next year is just the first year of the playoffs, with 4 teams. What happens when it goes to 6 or 8 or maybe 10. Pac 10, Big Ten, SEC, ACC and some of the smaller conferences will be swallowed up, those are your divisions. It is already happening.

Yeah, you are correct Fat Albert about this year. But when the playoffs expand to 6, 8 or 10 games, look back at this year and remember the FSU vs Florida game. Several years from now, you will not see the starters in the game but for about a minute. With the playoffs, you don't have to win every game, just enough games to get into the playoffs. Oh yeah, bring on them playoffs. (Dang, sarcasm button is still not working)

I am most certainly not kidding. There are conferences not divisions and there are more of them than playoff spots, there are four spots. What if's and might be's are not relevent and even with more teams the chance of picking the best team of the year goes up and I am ok with that.

I am most certainly not kidding. There are conferences not divisions and there are more of them than playoff spots, there are four spots. What if's and might be's are not relevent and even with more teams the chance of picking the best team of the year goes up and I am ok with that.

Ok, you are not kidding. You called them "conferences" and there just aren't enough playoff spots. Four this year, but more are coming. They have stated as much. Humor me and look at it this way, the NCAA basketball playoffs, began in 1939 and there were 8 teams. Now there are 64 teams but actually 66 because of the "playin" game. In basketball, certain conference champions will get into the field regardless of whether they are one of the best "66". The conferences in football will shrink, the number of teams in the playoffs will expand and viola, there you are. Whoever picks the teams, will be picking one from ACC, one from SEC, one from Big Ten, etc..... it is happening now. The big money of the playoffs are driving it and it will happen. Once everyone gets a taste (money) of the 4 four team playoff, do you really think they will not expand the playoffs.

By the way. The BCS was not charged with making sure the best team was in the playoffs, all the BCS was charged with was seeing to it that Number 1 played Number 2. Funny, I think that for the last few years, the best team in the country won the National Championship. But, that is just me.

Ok, you are not kidding. You called them "conferences" and there just aren't enough playoff spots. Four this year, but more are coming. They have stated as much. Humor me and look at it this way, the NCAA basketball playoffs, began in 1939 and there were 8 teams. Now there are 64 teams but actually 66 because of the "playin" game. In basketball, certain conference champions will get into the field regardless of whether they are one of the best "66". The conferences in football will shrink, the number of teams in the playoffs will expand and viola, there you are. Whoever picks the teams, will be picking one from ACC, one from SEC, one from Big Ten, etc..... it is happening now. The big money of the playoffs are driving it and it will happen. Once everyone gets a taste (money) of the 4 four team playoff, do you really think they will not expand the playoffs.

By the way. The BCS was not charged with making sure the best team was in the playoffs, all the BCS was charged with was seeing to it that Number 1 played Number 2. Funny, I think that for the last few years, the best team in the country won the National Championship. But, that is just me.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this. I don't have a problem with a championship being decided on the field regardless of how many teams it takes.

Back
Top Bottom