• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shoulder bump question

Sandybar

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
80   2
Reaction score
So I'm using 6.5 cr lapua brass that I shot once. And I have rcbs match dies with neck bushing. I am trying to achieve 2 thousands shoulder bump but I get 1 thousand sometimes and sometimes 4 thousands it's weird. And if I press the bras twice instead of once I get and extra bump. Any advice while be appreciated.
I'm using a Franklin arsenal press.

Hornady head space guage on a very expensive digital caliper.
When I heck the same headapace on new lapua brass ita all with a 1thousandth
My shot brass is also with 2 thousandth
And when I resize it its all over the place.

Not familiar with that type of die. all of mine are RCBS, Dillon, Lee or Redding. I have had erratic issues shoulder length issues but they were usually cause by one of the problems mentioned above.

Do you have another die to try?

Sounds like you've already cleaned out your die well to make sure there isnt any buildup of wax/lube. Make sure to wipe down the shell holder too, sometimes little boogers or buildup can sit between that and your brass. What press are you using? I've noticed consistency can vary slightly depending on how much pressure I put on my handle when running the ram up to the top position. maybe try running a few and really focus on creating consistent pressure from one piece of brass to the next when the ram is in the top position and see if that makes any difference for ya.

Back
Top Bottom