• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF Barrier

I'm of the mindset that I want my castle to be as hardened as possible. Spineless thieves will usually take the path of least resistance to minimize the time pilfering and reduce the likelihood of getting caught.

A good op and I like this idea here. I get the idea of making it look already ransacked, but in a long term bug in I want as much deterrent as possible. It will slow down targets, provide early warning (some type of movement/noise set up i.e. tin cans and rocks). Plus I think your average ****bags will follow the path of least resistance.

Trebble hooks hanging eye level from trees. The bottoms of broken bottles in the yards, Boards with wood screws under leaves/ pinestraw near windows.
If you cant be safe, be deadly

Hey Y'all. This one might be better suited for those that live in the city or subdivisions.

As a former farm kid, the value of a good fence isn't lost on me. In a true shtf scenario a simple, inexpensive fence can be constructed in just a couple hours and would serve as a huge deterrent to crime and looting. Some 6 foot welded wire fence ($100/100ft), a couple dozen t posts, post driver, wire and a single strand of barbed wire across the top is temporary/sturdy/ and a very effective deterrent. For those with a fenced back yard, this would go up quickly and easily in the front. I built something similar in the back for my dogs a few weeks ago. It's about 60 feet long, and took all of 1.5 hours.

Might not be a bad idea.
It would sure make your neighbors house look more tempting.
Thoughts?

No offense meant, but if I were out looking for good stuff, the more heavily it looks defended, the more likely it is to have stuff I want.
And I have an old wrecker that would take all of 3 seconds to rip your whole fence out, to let the rest of my group run in.
Because if I am thinking of going in to anything even remotely defended, I'm not going to do it alone.

Fencing may keep out a random person just scrounging, but will hardly be a deterrent to a group on a mission.

No offense meant, but if I were out looking for good stuff, the more heavily it looks defended, the more likely it is to have stuff I want.
And I have an old wrecker that would take all of 3 seconds to rip your whole fence out, to let the rest of my group run in.
Because if I am thinking of going in to anything even remotely defended, I'm not going to do it alone.

Fencing may keep out a random person just scrounging, but will hardly be a deterrent to a group on a mission.

Right answer, Run an work truck through a chain link fence, a normal car through a picket.

Counters to this: Steel poles set in concrete about 3ft in the ground, caltrops, broken down car with flat tires/no tires in driveway.

Thought: if you have a longish driveway, you could set nailboards under leaf litter. However the harder it is for opfor to get in the harder it is for you to get out!

Right answer, Run an work truck through a chain link fence, a normal car through a picket.

Counters to this: Steel poles set in concrete about 3ft in the ground, caltrops, broken down car with flat tires/no tires in driveway.

Thought: if you have a longish driveway, you could set nailboards under leaf litter. However the harder it is for opfor to get in the harder it is for you to get out!

Not running through it, pulling it down. Stop thinking of single individuals attempting access.
In a true shtf, you will most likely be dealing with groups of 10-50.
And if they fail in a first attempt, you can bet they will be back in greater numbers.
Be prepared to vacate.

The burned out, abandoned, already been gone through look is probably your best bet to keep most people out.

Back
Top Bottom