• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHUSH!!!

TresMonos

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
It's Great To Be Back Home
138   0
Reaction score
OK these acronyms are getting out of hand but I like the provisions in the recently proposed SHUSH Act over the HPA (even if the acronym sounds like it was made up for a bad spy movie)

SHUSH not only calls for the removal of suppressors form the NFA requirements but also classifies them as simple accessories which can be sold over the counter. Both allow for the refund of all NFA Stamp fees from 11/22/15 forward.

Senate Bill S.1505
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1505
House Resolution H.R.3139
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/3139

http://www.guns.com/2017/07/05/lawm...act-to-classify-suppressors-as-gun-accessory/

I saw this yesterday... wondering how much traction it has or if it's just a stalking horse for the HPA.

EIther way it's great to see movement on this front. I honestly think fixing laws like 922(r), getting rid of 'sporting tests' and other rules, and passing the HPA/SHUSH would be better than trying to push national reciprocity.

That one's a loser from the get-go, especially since we don't have a SCOTUS ruling that carry is a right like ownership is. under Heller.

Im sure Ill get some crap for this, but I still think you should have to have a background check or carry permit to buy a suppressor, just like buying a firearm. I like that there is a second bill and I like whats in it, but I do not agree with that.

The realistic answer is that by pushing a less restrictive bill (SHUSH) they just upped the chances of HPA passing.

I don't think any politicians care about the refund, after all, it's just a tax credit and it's a drop in the bucket compared to almost any other tax revenue.

The biggest issue is that the GOP still thinks that they will somehow lose votes for voting pro-gun. Being able to say that they kep background checks around suppressors gives them some CYA.

However it's going to be tough for politicians whose states have legalized suppressors to argue that they still need federal regulation., and they are legal in almost every state that matters.

The fact that this bill got filed tells me there some motion afoot. If they are going to push this through they need to get moving. If it gets close to mid-terms the GOP will wuss-out for sure.

All this talk about making silencers non NFA items is just a pipe dream. Mark my words it will go nowhere. Its worth a try but all these dreamers are damaging the silencer industry as they are waiting for a pipe dream that will never come when they should be buying them anyway and supporting their favorite silencer company. "HPA will pass so ill get a suppressor then!".... You could have just bought one a while back and you would have it by now. The government is not going to let go of the millions of revenue it gets from $200 dollar tax stamps. The democrats are not going to stand by while these scary child killing mufflers hit the streets in large numbers.

Im sure Ill get some crap for this, but I still think you should have to have a background check or carry permit to buy a suppressor, just like buying a firearm. I like that there is a second bill and I like whats in it, but I do not agree with that.
We need a background check for car mufflers too. Those damn things keep killing people. Without a firearm a silencer is useless. Its nothing but baffles in a tube that anyone with half a brain could make in 30 min anyway. So I disagree with your opinion but I respect it all the same.

I really don't think the HPA is hurting the suppressor industry as much as 41F is.

The HPA has been around for several years now and never seemed to make a dent in sales, although with Obama and potentially Hillary it would definitely have been a pipe dream. I'm sure a few people are waiting for it to pass before they get a new can. But with everyone, including the bills sponsor, saying it will be 2018 at the earliest I think that's only the most optimistic these days.

I think 41F is far more to blame, not because people can't buy suppressors under the new scheme but because they already have. I'm thinking that anyone who was in the suppressor market pre-bought anything they wanted last year, and simply don't have anything left on their 'wish list'.

And since there's really no used market for cans, it's not like you can buy the latest and greatest 45 pistol can and sell the old one to help pay for it. WHat you have, you use and most people who are interested in suppressors already 'have' after the 41F panic.

I know this is the case for me. I had a couple of suppressor-based projects that I wanted to build in 2017, but I actually bought the cans for them last year before 41F just to avoid the extra hassle. At this point I pretty much have the cans want, and I'll bet that's true for a lot of suppressor buyers.

Just like the ammo and AR-15 boom/busts cycles, this will shake out too. It should weed out some of the weaker vendors and focus the stronger ones on innovation. The 41F rule isn't that much of an impediment, and once the backlog is dealt with I'll bet we start seeing ~30 day turn-around times on stamps.

If the HPA does pass it will be the biggest boom the remaining suppressor makers will ever see, but even if it doesn't, they will have to innovate and eventually these will tempt people to buy updated versions of their old stuff, or with things like the new Ruger integrally suppressed take-down barrel, bring new people into the fold.

I really don't think the HPA is hurting the suppressor industry as much as 41F is.
Agreed.

I was researching 9mm and 5.56 Suppressors for future purchases when the date for 41F was announced.

I didn't have the cash to buy what I wanted before 41F kicked in and I'm not willing to jump through the extra hoops, so that was at LEAST two Suppressors that would've been sold that won't now.

If it weren't for 41F, I'd be buying cans right now regardless of the latest HPA announcements.

Back
Top Bottom