• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig 1911 Ultra Compact

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
Got this SWEET 1911 Ultra Compact this week and just got to shoot it today.

First glance: Beautiful. All details polished and perfect. Rich dark nitron finish accented with stainless steel trigger and hammer. Came with "Blackwood" grips, which look great but provide no contrast so I put a set of cocobola's on it. Came with Novack night sights. No sharp edges or burrs anywhere.

Feel: Light and crisp. Alloy frame makes for a fine balance between the heft of the steel slide and lightness you'd want in an ultra compact. The checkering is crisp and aggressive. Grip is perfect length to fit the hand unlike so many other guns that leave the pinky hanging. You could carry this gun all day every day.

Function: Right out of the mag the first round when wracked by hand gave me a problem. I had topped the factory mag with Hornady Crit Defenses and the first round nose-dived right into the feed ramp. After repeated attempts I talked to a friend and he suggested that the rubber insert was the issue. I tried other JHP ammo and had zero problems. I also had no problem with the Crit Defs as long as they were not the top round in the mag. Other than that all functions are perfect.

Shooting: Took it out with 50 Federal FMJ's, 50 USA Ammo reloads and a handful of mixed JHPs including the Crit Defs. Loaded the first round of mags(two 7 round factory and two 8 round Act Mags) with FMJs and ran them through at a steady, moderate pace. Then dropped in some JHPs and ran the first mag through as fast as I could pull the trigger. Performed perfectly. During the second to the last mag, shooting the USA Ammo reloads I had 2 back to back FTF's. A quick wrack of the slide and the round seated and fired in both cases. I had no other malfunctions of any type.

The gun is very accurate. Especially if you consider that the barrel length is 3.3 inches. Shooting at 7-10 yards I had no problem hitting where I was aiming.

I've ordered 2 Mec Gar mags from MidwayUSA and when they arrive I will be taking it back out to the range. As it stands I am VERY happy with the gun and feel more than comfortable with it.

Back
Top Bottom