• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig braces now legal to shoulder?

So my question is, where does that leave the viability of paying the $200 tax for an SBR? Seems to me, that as long as the brace isn't modified in any way as to differ from the ATF approved manufactured version, you can shoulder it. Besides comfort under recoil, what are the benefits to having an SBR as opposed to a pistol with a brace? Someone enlighten me because I wanna know if I wasted $200 plus the cost of a new, fully assembled lower receiver.

That's just it. My braced AR Pistol travel out of state with me. I'll eventually form 1 my EVO, but it will stay in Georgia.

That's just it. My braced AR Pistol travel out of state with me. I'll eventually form 1 my EVO, but it will stay in Georgia.
That's why I spent the extra cash on a separate SBR lower. If I have to go outta state, I'll just put my upper on my pistol lower rather than fill out the Form 20.

Then there's this statement from Shockwave Technologies, then manufacturer of the Shockwave Blade.

It appears that these are covered in the ruling as well, and that MAC has misinterpreted the new ruling as it pertains to what is "permanently affixed".

ATF Says That Shouldering Shockwave Blade is Okay!
I just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman at ATF Tech Branch—who was fielding these calls today. (He was, understandably, very well versed on the subject—and very nice about it even though he’s been on the phone all day, repeating himself ad nauseam.) I identified myself and asked him specifically if the letter that’s making the rounds is limited to one company’s products–or if it applies to all pistol stabilizing braces. He said: “The letter covers all pistol stabilizing braces, including the Shockwave Blade.” So that settles that.

He then gave me a bit of further guidance for our customers:

1. By “permanent affixing,” ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don’t red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be “temporarily placed” and “perfectly okay to shoulder.” (He didn’t beat around the bush on this topic.)
  2. “Length of pull”—for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces—begins to enter a “gray area” above 13.5″. Above 13.5″ begins “to enter shoulder stock area.” (His words.) On an AR-15, the “length of pull” for the Blade is approximately 13.13″, so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5″ length. Stay below 13.5″ and according to ATF, it’s okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade.
So there you have it. Anything you read to the contrary on a web forum, social media site, or industry blog is simple misinformation by people who are not being honest.

Source: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

Back
Top Bottom