• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SIG P320 "dropped discharge" NEVER HAPPENED!

http://www.tactical-life.com/news/sig-sauer-p320-dallas-pd/#sig-p320-2

Tactical-Life.com has confirmed that the Dallas Police Department’s suspension of use of the Sig Sauer P320 was based on a miscommunication of a non-existent defect.

A blog by the name of GunMagWarehouse.com erroneously reported that there had been a Dallas PD training incident involving Sig Sauer P320. Specifically, the blog stated that the pistol “discharged as a result of being dropped during training,” which was far from the truth.

“The Dallas Police Department has not tested the P320 and has had no issue with the P320,” Sig spokesman Jordan Hunter told Tactical-Life.

There was never a “defect” with the P320. The confusion stemmed from an out-of-date manual that was given to the Dallas Police Department’s new lieutenant, according to Hunter.

Taking the necessary precautions with the older manual, the lieutenant temporarily suspended use of the P320 until Dallas PD could get in touch with Sig Sauer to clarify the issue.

A memo was issued to the Dallas Police Department detailing the temporary suspension, which someone leaked to another blog and the rumor mill began turning at a ferocious pace.

Sig released the following statement regarding the rumors:
In response to social media rumors questioning the safety of the P320 pistol, a variant of which was selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), Sig Sauer, Inc. has full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date.

The P320 meets and exceeds all U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

All Sig Sauer pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed. However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed. This language is common to owner’s manuals of major handgun manufacturers.

As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted.

“Sig Sauer is committed to producing only the finest products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of Sig Sauer. “Safety and reliability have been and always will be paramount to the Sig Sauer brand.”

The Sig Sauer P320 was recently awarded the U.S. Army’s Modular Handguns System contract, which our writers feel was more than deserved when looking closely at the submission.
Yes Sig. wins again!!

Yeah, the entire industry is run on lies and fake rumors. That's how Glock became "most reliable", custom 1911 "most accurate", AK "most dependable" and so on. I had no doubt even for a split of a second that's BS.

Sounds like that event did in fact happen.

When I stated it did not happen, in my opening I referred to the specific supposed instance at Dallas (TX) PD, the rumor of which started the ball rolling. Dallas PD themselves stated that it did not happen.
It looks like the Dallas PD stop use order was just a very strange coincidence. Their stop use order was related to a misinterpretation of language in the user's manual, not because of an actual AD.

BUT, it did cause some people to take a second look at the gun and they uncovered a real problem.

The facts as we understand them now are these:

Sig was previously aware of at least 4 separate incidents involving accidental discharge due to a P320 being dropped.

One of those involved an officer being wounded.

The pistol passes all current drop test standards.

Those standards may be flawed.

The gun will discharge when struck directly to the rear of the slide.

The M17, adopted by the Army is not the same gun and has internal, mechanical differences that provide additional safety. It IS drop safe according to Sig and the Army.

Sig is replacing the internals of any 320 returned to them with M17 parts.

The repair will require modification to the internal fire control chassis and machining of the slide (internally).

Additionally, the repair will involve replacement of the trigger shoe, striker assembly, the sear housing and installation of a trigger disconnect. It's a complete overhaul of the fire control system.

Sig has begun accepting registrations for people who opt in for the "voluntary upgrade".

They have not stated when they will be ready to begin accepting shipments to begin repairs.

Once they do begin accepting repairs, turn around time will be 6-8 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I read the other about a LEO that dropped his duty belt into his trunk when off duty, and the P320 in the holster went off the holster he used left the hammer exposed, as do most holsters. Wish I'd copied the link.

I read the other about a LEO that dropped his duty belt into his trunk when off duty, and the P320 in the holster went off the holster he used left the hammer exposed, as do most holsters. Wish I'd copied the link.

It's in the main thread. He's suing SIG for 6 or 7 million if I remember right.

The 320 is striker fired. No hammer to be exposed. I'm assuming that the holster left the rear of the slide exposed and it struck the ground when it fell off of his car.

The 320 is striker fired. No hammer to be exposed. I'm assuming that the holster left the rear of the slide exposed and it struck the ground when it fell off of his car.

You are correct I wasn't thinking and I even owned a P320 C for a short while after they came out, no hammer,

Back
Top Bottom