• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig Sauer Scopes?

Do they make a MOA and MRAD version of that scope and how does their price point compare to the Viper PST line

I have mil version, believe they are all mil, but could be wrong. The DMR Gen1's used go around $900-$1000. Seen em lower on SH a few times lower, like $750. Much better scopes, IMHO, to the Viper PST's. Got rid of both of mine after getting the DMR.

I have mil version, believe they are all mil, but could be wrong. The DMR Gen1's used go around $900-$1000. Seen em lower on SH a few times lower, like $750. Much better scopes, IMHO, to the Viper PST's. Got rid of both of mine after getting the DMR.
Yes, and with Bushnell's warranty, I would have no issues purchasing used. I think their Elite Series gets looked over far to often just because it says "Bushnell" on the side.

Bingo, Bushnell Elite and EOTech Vudu are also made at LOW. My personal opinion is that I absolutely hate the Viper PST line, even though many like the product. I just think the glass itself is sub par. The Razor series is a different ball game. I have several EOTech Vudu scopes and the only issue I have there right now is non-locking turrets. They do have zero stop however. Otherwise the tracking and glass are very good. I have a very coveted Bushnell Elite G2-DMR. I love the scope even though most complain of the 5 mil per rev and lack of illumination. The G2 reticle to me is one of the most useful and clean reticles I have ever run. I have had high end NF, Leupold and Schmidt as well, no complaints on NF. Schmidt glass is great but their ergonomics and the way they handle zero stops and other functions is far more complicated than need be. All the Leupolds I have run have "mushy" turrets which drive me crazy. For a hunting optic, and REDX REDX has said this a few times, it is well worth looking at the Bushnell Elite Long Range Hunter. I think everything about that scope is set up great for what you want, the only downside I can see is that they are a little on the heavy side.

I've got the same issues with S&B. Hate the teensy little "clicks", as well.

Thanks for the input

Yes, and with Bushnell's warranty, I would have no issues purchasing used. I think their Elite Series gets looked over far to often just because it says "Bushnell" on the side.
Just don't think about Bushnell that much

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking really hard at the Tango 4 in 3x12 with MOA reticle for a new hunter on my 300 WSM.

I have played with few of their scopes, not with the model you've been talking about. I didn't have an intention to go specifically withTango. They are definitely high quality scopes, clear optics, my issue with them that they really priced away more basic and advanced scopes. Aka under 200 vs over 800. Too much money for scope in my case. I'm "ok" rifle shooter, means I can shoot accurately upto 400 yards with normal load and minimal externalities. I rarely shoot rifle longer range than 250 yards. I just don't know where it could be done. So to me paying for their high end stuff makes no sense. I often hunt with my 460xvr and just x2 scope. I don't shoot stuff on the Moon. You see, for my 716 rifle I ended up with Nikon scope. I get very accurate BDC and very clear optics for almost half the price Monarch, on Amazon. I paid under 400 for it. It's clear from edge to edge. You probably have specific requirements in mind, that's assuming that you have enough experience to know what you need. If you shoot long range it's much more demanding. For my average 200 yards shooting even the simple scope will do. It also feels to me, and I could be wrong on it that these price ranges are artificial, just to separate lines of products. I come from cheap scopes. For someone with 1000+ optics iy could be all different. My Monarch is the best scope I personally have purchased. I had few Leopolds before.

I have played with few of their scopes, not with the model you've been talking about. I didn't have an intention to go specifically withTango. They are definitely high quality scopes, clear optics, my issue with them that they really priced away more basic and advanced scopes. Aka under 200 vs over 800. Too much money for scope in my case. I'm "ok" rifle shooter, means I can shoot accurately upto 400 yards with normal load and minimal externalities. I rarely shoot rifle longer range than 250 yards. I just don't know where it could be done. So to me paying for their high end stuff makes no sense. I often hunt with my 460xvr and just x2 scope. I don't shoot stuff on the Moon. You see, for my 716 rifle I ended up with Nikon scope. I get very accurate BDC and very clear optics for almost half the price Monarch, on Amazon. I paid under 400 for it. It's clear from edge to edge. You probably have specific requirements in mind, that's assuming that you have enough experience to know what you need. If you shoot long range it's much more demanding. For my average 200 yards shooting even the simple scope will do. It also feels to me, and I could be wrong on it that these price ranges are artificial, just to separate lines of products. I come from cheap scopes. For someone with 1000+ optics iy could be all different. My Monarch is the best scope I personally have purchased. I had few Leopolds before.
It sounds like you're set up well for your use. The difference is that for long range shooting there are several other factors that take on a much higher level of importance.

Clarity is very important simply because the better you can see it, the better you can shoot it. You can't really appreciate this until you have set up on a high quality optic at long range. It's just a whole different level.

Repeatability of adjustment. Most hunting scopes get zeroed and left there and that works great for them, but for long range precision shooting, scopes seldom remain at the same zero for long. In a single day of shooting it's not uncommon to make adjustments to the scope well over a dozen times. Often many more than that. The ability to reliably dial in an adjustment and have the point of impact change to exactly what it's supposed to is something that only very high quality scopes can do. It's a matter of much tighter tolerances in machining and assembly of the scope. It costs a lot more to do that, so the scope is going to cost more.

Durability. I know guys that have been shooting the same box of 20 rounds for three years for hunting. A couple of rounds a year to check zero and the only other rounds fired are at game. A precision rifle that belongs to an active shooter will be shot thousands of times. It's not unusual for the barrel to actually get worn out and need to be replaced. I know of several mid-range scopes that the internal mechanisms have failed on due to recoil with just a few hundred rounds fired. I know of a couple that didn't even last 100 rounds. The expectation of high end scopes is that they can take a beating and withstand thousands of rounds fired and not only not fail, but not lose even the smallest amount of precision.

The bottom line is that for 99% of shooters, lower cost scopes will do the job just fine. But for active precision shooters the higher initial cost of a high end scope ends up being a very good investment in the long run.

Even though this scope was being considered for a hunting rifle, I still shoot the rifle a lot and put it through the same paces as my precision rifles.

Back
Top Bottom