• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig V-Crown 9mm for self defense?

It what I keep in my 10mm. Seemed like the best choice at the time. It's been a while but I saw a ballistics chart on four or five current offerings. It was much better. Higher velocity and more energy in ft. lbs by a pretty substantial margin.

I looked them up a few years ago when a friend got his first 9mm pistol.
I bought a box to give him as a gift, and I bought a box for myself too.
They were pretty good on the price-- I think I only paid $19 for a box of 20 rounds.

LUCKYGUNNER dot-com did a very thorough test of popular defensive handgun rounds in various calibers at blocks of ballistic gelatin. They did test the Sig Sauer 124 grain V-crown load.
It had an average muzzle velocity of 1072, right at the verge of being supersonic from a duty-sized pistol. (Remember, this is a standard pressure load, not +P).
Its bullets penetrated 15-18 deep in the gelatin, and the average was 17.3 inches).
All the bullets expanded nicely, and the recovered bullets were found to average .52" diameter.
(Of course at some point in their path through the gel blocks, they were much wider, but then the petals folded back and this actually narrowed the bullet down from its temporary widest point.)

Had a stupid moment and somehow my brain went from clearing gun to disassembling gun before I had ejected the round in the chamber. 9mm Sig V crown into the B pillar of my truck while standing by the back door. It didn't make it very far.

PXL_20220521_235956267.jpg

The V-Crown bullet is made by Sierra. I bet Sierra probably loads the cartridge for Sig, but I don't have a box of them to confirm that.

Back
Top Bottom