• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sightless

MaconGuns

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
Was considering getting ghost rings for a pistol and ran across a thread that suggested it was better for rifles and that made sense. So in the process of that I ran across a thread that promoted using no sights. This actually made sense also. Stated that in a real life fast + close confrontation you really don't have time to get a great sight picture. Use the Guns barrel as a pointing device to aim.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions? thanks

At very close range I don't think sights would matter too much. The more important thing would be having the fastest and most discreet way possible to deploy the weapon, and preferably without the assailant even realizing you've already drawn, if possible. But that is all hypothetical and we may not have the advantage of seeing it coming beforehand. That's why situational awareness must be drilled into our subconscious all the time. Tactics would matter more than pinpoint aim at very close range, I would think. A gun fight at point blank range is something I hope to avoid at all costs, but if possible I want to get the drop first and get the first shot...And the second...

I still don't understand the suggestion of no sights, though. You can shoot just as good with the sights on there as you can without, even if you're not using them, but if you are not very close up and do need to aim, it would be much better to have them. That's why almost all guns have them. I also believe that even very close up shots require lots of practice to be proficient, especially if you're just pointing and firing.

I'm not suggesting to remove them, just suggesting that on average (based on random stuff)
you will not have time to draw, stretch out your arms locate the target and sights, focus on a good sight picture. You'll not be shooting paper and unless you have Spidey sense, you'll not be aware of every thing, everywhere at all times.

So I was considering practicing on targets within 10-20 feet without focusing on the sight but trying to just use point + shoot and shooting from hip.

This however generates a higher chance of missing and hitting innocent people.

Remove them? In the Air Force one of the firing exercises we did with the -16 was use the entire groove of the handle as a V of the rear sight to pick up the entire front sight as the front post sight for close 25 yard targets. It Works pretty good.

I'm not suggesting to remove them, just suggesting that on average (based on random stuff)
you will not have time to draw, stretch out your arms locate the target and sights, focus on a good sight picture. You'll not be shooting paper and unless you have Spidey sense, you'll not be aware of every thing, everywhere at all times.

So I was considering practicing on targets within 10-20 feet without focusing on the sight but trying to just use point + shoot and shooting from hip.

This however generates a higher chance of missing and hitting innocent people.
I follow what you are saying, it would seem that you would probably get 2 shots off before the gun got up to your line of sight in that situation, but our natural action is to get the gun up to our sight line

I follow what you are saying, it would seem that you would probably get 2 shots off before the gun got up to your line of sight in that situation, but our natural action is to get the gun up to our sight line
A hard habit to break. If I got use to it rather than worrying if my stance feels good and my sight are perfectly centered in the bulls eye then, maybe I'd increase reaction time.

There is a video of a guy with his sights taped over and he gets acceptable accuracy.
There are others but this is the first one that I checked out.

I've run a lot of drills where we tape up the students' sights and force them to "point shoot". We start at the 3 yard line, 2 rounds from the holster. Gotta keep them in the A zone (good center zone of whatever target you are using). When I run it, we typically use the IDPA silhouette and you have to keep both rounds in the 8" circle.

If you kept your 2 rounds in, you go back to the 5 yard line, and we keep on progressing approximately 2-3 yards at a time. This lets you see what YOU'RE capabilities with this technique are.

During training, I'm good to 15 yards + with no front or rear sight. In a "real world" scenario, I would say a more reasonable distance for me would be 10 yards or a tad less. That is my recommendation for anyone; whatever distance you're good to go at while training on the flat range, I'd recommend using about half of that distance in "real life".

I've done a lot of shooting where I removed my rear sight altogether and just used the dot on the front sight. For me, just as fast as no sights and more accurate. That's one of the reasons that my preferred sight setup is a tritium front and a plain black rear.

So, at ECQS distances I watch the target/threat and ignore the handgun or sights. At past 3 yards I pick up the front sight. At 7 yards I pick up the rear sight, but don't care much about how my sight picture looks. At 15 yards, I start to pay attention to sight picture. Now, this is what works for ME. I've shot a lot of rounds figuring this out for me, you'll need to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom