• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silencer Shop numbers on the Griffin Armament Optimus

This is why I don't recommend trying to get a do-it-all can. You end up compromising. I dont have numbers from my 556 can comparison but the Optimus is louder on both the .22 and 9mm pistol than dedicated cans.

This is why I don't recommend trying to get a do-it-all can. You end up compromising. I dont have numbers from my 556 can comparison but the Optimus is louder on both the .22 and 9mm pistol than dedicated cans.

I've been waiting on a can like this for some time. With the explosion of suppressor ownership comes more innovation so no doubt we'll have more of these do-it-all cans hit the market. I'm definitely excited for this.

With that said, from my research it seems the best .22 and 9mm cans reduce an average of 34-37db vs 30db average for the Optimus. Since decibels are not linear so how loud do you guys think that 4-7db is in actuality? Is it worth $1200 (w/stamp) for this can alone or better to pay $1300 (w/stamp) for two separate cans?

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

The only modular can I am even considering is the Obsidian 45. I think these numbers will put a 9mm about what my 308 sounds like with my Harvester (and it is louder than my ARC30).

With that said, from my research it seems the best .22 and 9mm cans reduce an average of 34-37db vs 30db average for the Optimus. Since decibels are not linear so how loud do you guys think that 4-7db is in actuality? Is it worth $1200 (w/stamp) for this can alone or better to pay $1300 (w/stamp) for two separate cans?

I don't remember the exact number, but every increase in decibel is a 20-someting% increase in sound intensity. Personally I only chase decibels in certain calibers like 22 or 9mm where I could shoot without ear protection. On the other cans, I'm more concerned about weight and lock-up.

If you're a one-and-done kind of guy or if 41f bothers you, then I'd look to get the jack-of-all trades can like an Optimus. Otherwise I'd pick the specific can every time because it's just going to be better all around on performance, weight, etc. Plus realistically speaking you're not going to be sitting there at the range constantly switching configurations on a hot can. It'll get annoying, and the chances of making a mistake and not setting it up correctly are always going to be an issue.

I don't remember the exact number, but every increase in decibel is a 20-someting% increase in sound intensity. Personally I only chase decibels in certain calibers like 22 or 9mm where I could shoot without ear protection. On the other cans, I'm more concerned about weight and lock-up.

If you're a one-and-done kind of guy or if 41f bothers you, then I'd look to get the jack-of-all trades can like an Optimus. Otherwise I'd pick the specific can every time because it's just going to be better all around on performance, weight, etc. Plus realistically speaking you're not going to be sitting there at the range constantly switching configurations on a hot can. It'll get annoying, and the chances of making a mistake and not setting it up correctly are always going to be an issue.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Here's what I'm really after. .22lr and 9mm are my primary concern with .300blk a very close second. I was thinking of a Warlock or Spectre 2 plus a Tirant 9 and I'd be in the $1300-1400 range. With the Optimus, it looks like I'd be around $1300 anyhow. All the other calibers, like 5.56 and 7.62 are nice to haves, but if I still have to wear ear protection, I see very little point.

Ideally, I want a can that is backyard quiet on a bolt .22lr (as in pellet gun quiet), and comfortably quiet in semi-auto 22, 9mm, and .300AAC - as in no hearing protection, no hearing damage during extended use.

Back
Top Bottom