• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silica packs for gun safe

lostgeorge75

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I have a 3 boxes of silica packs that came in shipping tubes at work. I'm going to repurpose them for the gun safe. Any idea how many of these I would need for a standard 12 gun safe?

Attachments

• 20180425_125145-1612x784.jpg
    20180425_125145-1612x784.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 38
I have one of those little non electric ones hanging up in my safe with several of those desiccant bags thrown in there as well. The bags can be reused after a short cycle in the microwave. I went to Amazon and bought a bulk pack of those desiccant bags that were 4"x5" and threw one in every ammo container I have and then threw the rest in the safe. I figure between that little dehumidifier I am pretty much covered. I also keep all my blued steel guns in Bore Stores gun socks. They are impregnated with silicone to keep the moister from getting in. I go overboard just because I am paranoid. If your safe is in the top level you really don't have to worry about it. In the winter you go around shocking people. That's static from extremely dry environment. In the summer the Air Conditioner keeps the air dry and cool. If your safe is in the basement with not air ducts and no insulation you will want to get one of those electric dehumidifiers. That's really the only time you have to be extra vigilant with your moisture control.

Still where ever it is it doesn't hurt to throw in a couple of bigger ones just for insurance.

Back
Top Bottom