• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silly car dealer games....

I just flew to Richmond VA to take delivery of a car I bought online. I have done this before, and not had any problems. This time I get to the dealership and the first thing I notice are what appear to be new scratches on the passenger side rear door. I point them out to my sales person and he says he'll ask the sales manager. He comes back and says the car was priced with those in mind. I said they were not in the photos I received of the car and I would not have paid what I did for it had they been disclosed. In fact, the car was detailed and just below these scratches are finer lines that would have come out with a good waxing. Something happened in the two weeks I waited to get the car. We are now trying to work out the issue, I just want some cash back.
The first thing my son asked me when we got the car home was, "what happened to the door", we had both gone over the photos with a fine tooth comb and these were not there. Hopefully the BMW dealer will make it right.

Brand new car?

When I was in college in the late 90's, Mountain View Ford in Chattanooga had a 1988 F-150 on the lot that was marked "89k one owner miles!" The truck was a short bed, 4x4, with a v8 and auto transmission. It was priced at $4995. I test drove it and started the negotiation process. They were going to give me a decent trade in allowance and I had the cash to pay the difference. I asked the lot lizard salesman numerous times about the 89k miles and he continued to assure me it was correct. As I was reviewing the sales contract, I see that a "1" has been written in front of the 89k. I asked him about this and he responded "oh, that was a clerical error. the truck does have 189k miles, but runs like a new one!" Since the truck was parked outside his window, I pointed at the windshield with the 89K still clearly marked. He laughed and said, "yeah, but the price reflects the 189k". I said, well, if it has double the advertised miles, then I'll pay you half the advertised price. He laughed again and said "you can't be serious." I said I was and he just stared at me. He then said, "you look like you're ready to punch me" and kind of smirked. I told him it wouldn't take much more for me to do just that. I then got up and left with him trailing after me all the way back to my car. I told him he was a liar and that if he laid a hand on me, I'd knock his teeth out. He got the message and I left. Never done business with them since.

When I was in college in the late 90's, Mountain View Ford in Chattanooga had a 1988 F-150 on the lot that was marked "89k one owner miles!" The truck was a short bed, 4x4, with a v8 and auto transmission. It was priced at $4995. I test drove it and started the negotiation process. They were going to give me a decent trade in allowance and I had the cash to pay the difference. I asked the lot lizard salesman numerous times about the 89k miles and he continued to assure me it was correct. As I was reviewing the sales contract, I see that a "1" has been written in front of the 89k. I asked him about this and he responded "oh, that was a clerical error. the truck does have 189k miles, but runs like a new one!" Since the truck was parked outside his window, I pointed at the windshield with the 89K still clearly marked. He laughed and said, "yeah, but the price reflects the 189k". I said, well, if it has double the advertised miles, then I'll pay you half the advertised price. He laughed again and said "you can't be serious." I said I was and he just stared at me. He then said, "you look like you're ready to punch me" and kind of smirked. I told him it wouldn't take much more for me to do just that. I then got up and left with him trailing after me all the way back to my car. I told him he was a liar and that if he laid a hand on me, I'd knock his teeth out. He got the message and I left. Never done business with them since.
Let's see......half of $4995 is about $2498.......bond for assault at that time probably $500 - $750.....I'd have given him a jab.

Let's see......half of $4995 is about $2498.......bond for assault at that time probably $500 - $750.....I'd have given him a jab.
It was quite tempting. It was going to be my first "on my own" purchase. I hated that it worked out like that. The truck was absolutely gorgeous. But, if they'll lie about the mileage, I figured they would have no problem hiding any potential problems as well.

I thought Ford was changing the name of that truck line. A Lariat in Georgia? What you gonna do with that? Hang somebody or something? Imagine the look on peoples faces around here when they ask you for truck information and you say, "I got a Lariat".

It was quite tempting. It was going to be my first "on my own" purchase. I hated that it worked out like that. The truck was absolutely gorgeous. But, if they'll lie about the mileage, I figured they would have no problem hiding any potential problems as well.
A car salesman lie? Get out! No way!

I thought Ford was changing the name of that truck line. A Lariat in Georgia? What you gonna do with that? Hang somebody or something? Imagine the look on peoples faces around here when they ask you for truck information and you say, "I got a Lariat".
That's racisistis.

Actually I was texting another dealer's salesman that I'm working with on a Lariat that is super nice and not overloaded with geegaw crap that I don't need or want while I was 'waiting' at his desk.
Not a bad idea but I will never give a car salesman my cellphone number unless it is a "burner". I don't want those derelicts calling me for the next 10 years.

Not a bad idea but I will never give a car salesman my cellphone number unless it is a "burner". I don't want those derelicts calling me for the next 10 years.
It's called buy or die.
They now have programs to send text and emails automatically. If you buy a vehicle they seek referrals. If you die I assume they leave you alone.
We bought a car from Jeff smith and they would call and text and email almost weekly.

I have always been good at buying cars. Back in 96 my wife totaled her Camry and wanted a Accord. Carey Paul Honda did the bait and switch in finance office and I got up and said lets go. My wife was like wtf. Had 4 guys in suits chase us to truck. They came around. But last 2 new cars I bought I know I paid too much. Did my research and made my offer. Both were shaking my hand before I could finish. So ya I paid too much.

Back
Top Bottom