Simple butt stock/butt plate repair

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
IMG_6172.JPG
IMG_6173.JPG

So the old screw holes were worn on this old Remington. Using a various drill bits from small to larger I slowly opened up the hole until my wooden dowel was a tight fit. I used my dial caliper to find the closet bit. Once that was done I cut the dowels to proper length. Putting a slight crimp in the dowels for air to escape. Smothered in wood glue inserted and seated home. Now to wait 24-48 for full cure of the glue then I will mark my holes.

I could have used tooth picks for a temp solution but these holes had a tad bit of wood rot. So elected to do this instead of a temporary fix.

View attachment 1274337 View attachment 1274338

So the old screw holes were worn on this old Remington. Using a various drill bits from small to larger I slowly opened up the hole until my wooden dowel was a tight fit. I used my dial caliper to find the closet bit. Once that was done I cut the dowels to proper length. Putting a slight crimp in the dowels for air to escape. Smothered in wood glue inserted and seated home. Now to wait 24-48 for full cure of the glue then I will mark my holes.

I could have used tooth picks for a temp solution but these holes had a tad bit of wood rot. So elected to do this instead of a temporary fix.
This is "the" way as far as I'm concerned :thumb::thumb:

You did an awesome job. You did it the right way too. I like how you timed the screws too. Very professional.

Thanks!!

I am sure by everyone has noticed the punch marks are not entirely centered in the stock. A lot of these old 22 had butt plates mounted and finished off with a belt sander. That's why no two are ever alike and rarely do you find a used one that will line up perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom