• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Simple Reloading Setup

It's just the cartridge designation. A 7.62x39 and a 7.62x39 Russian are the same. The Lee Tuuret Press is the deal on a great, easy to use, and very durable press at a very affordable price. I have the Lee dies, all but the RGB series come with a shellholder and some basic load data. The factory crimp will be useful in an auto loader too.

The "Russian" part of the label just indicates that the 7.62x39 round was invented by Russia.

I was talking to the reload guy at Bass Pro, he stated that I need a SB type die.... The dies I have seen do not state this.... Is this a must?

He also stated that I should stick to the .308 bullets.... I did find .310 bullets on the self.... Has anyone loaded both...what type of a difference was noted with these two reloads?

Lots and lots of misinfo out there. You don't need a "SB" type die. You don't want to use .308 bullets. That's a myth that just won't go away. When Ruger first started making the Mini 30, they used .308 production barrels that had come out on the high side of allowable tolerances (.3095). This info comes from expert Ed Harris, who worked at Ruger, and is probably the western world's leading practical ballistician on the 7.62x39. Somehow, some gun magazine writer got it in his head that Ruger was producing Mini 30s with a .308 bore. That thinking caught on and still won't go away, decades later.

I've read comments from Mini 30 owners who have slugged their barrels, and .310 is normal for most Mini 30s.

If you were to disassemble American made 7.62x39 ammo and measure the bullet diameter, you'd find they are .310.

Thanks again.... that was what I was thinking.... stay with the .310 bullets.... I did notice (online) that some claim the mini30 was designed to shoot both .308 and .310..... Where is the best place to get bullets and such for reloading the mini30? I only seen one type of .310 bullet on the self at Bass Pro.

Thanks.... what is all the "RUSSIAN" stuff about?

The Russian stuff is a larger bullet than ours, not by much but larger all the same. If I remember correct where the free world stuff is .308-.309 the Russians use a .309-.311. I'll have to look back in my reloading book to make sure of the numbers. It's been a long time since I reloaded the 7.63X39 and I pack up my book on a caliber when I stop using it, until the next itch hits.

Before I stopped reloading mine I started pulling the loaded Russian bullet, filling the case with good powder and replacing the bullet. You'll be very surprised at what you can get out of the factory stuff with a good load of powder.

Personally when I got back in I went with a Rockchucker and a Hornady Lock-n-load AP.I did look at Lee but decided not to go with their press. If you do decide to go with Lee you really should check out this website.

http://www.factorysales.com/index.html

Good post. Thanks for the link. I own a bunch of Lee stuff and these are great prices.

Back
Top Bottom