• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Single or progressive reloader for starting out

mozdog

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
I want going to start reloading 6.5 Creedmoor and 338 WM, will add 308, 270, 280, 7mm and 233 at some point. Probably only loading a couple hundred at a time or less. Recommendations weather to go with a progressive or single stage. So suggestions and hopefully reason why. Thank you in advance.

Mozdog

A single stage has a lower cost entry point and with many of those rounds being more low volume shooting it would let you get your toes wet without dumping a bunch of money into a hobby you don't know you like.

I wouldn't want to load 5.56 plinking Ammo on a single stage unless it was for national match or some kind of low volume target shooting. That's just me though, plenty of people do.

I wouldn't want to load 5.56 plinking Ammo on a single stage unless it was for national match or some kind of low volume target shooting. That's just me though, plenty of people do.

5.56 is not really cost effective but I just threw it in there. Any thought on which single stage. Cabelas.com has an Hornady kit for sale.

+1 On the Rockchucker. I have had one for a very long time and have loaded many thousands of rounds. It still performs great.Simple and rugged. I have had and still do have 1 progressive but you need to be shooting a hecuva bunch to justify the cost. Rockchucker may take more time for big quantity but it produces quality easily.

I want going to start reloading 6.5 Creedmoor and 338 WM, will add 308, 270, 280, 7mm and 233 at some point. Probably only loading a couple hundred at a time or less. Recommendations weather to go with a progressive or single stage. So suggestions and hopefully reason why. Thank you in advance.

Mozdog
If your goal is to save cost it’s difficult with current ammo prices. Of course that could change with political winds. Price goes up faster than it falls.
However if the goal is to produce better ammo for your rifles then reloading makes good sense.
Now to your question. A single stage will be too slow to crank out 200 rounds on day one. But that’s a good thing until you learn how to load quality rounds. If Precision is important than a single stage press is a great staring point.
There are some good reloading threads on snipershide that may help you decide what’s best for you.

If your goal is to save cost it’s difficult with current ammo prices. Of course that could change with political winds. Price goes up faster than it falls.
However if the goal is to produce better ammo for your rifles then reloading makes good sense.
Now to your question. A single stage will be too slow to crank out 200 rounds on day one. But that’s a good thing until you learn how to load quality rounds. If Precision is important than a single stage press is a great staring point.
There are some good reloading threads on snipershide that may help you decide what’s best for you.

I want to learn, produce better ammo for both target shooting and hunting. 200 rounds would be a lot, I do that

Good advice, precision is the goal plus with the 338 I can load 20 rounds at home instead of hoping someone has it or in the weight I want.

Back
Top Bottom