• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Site feedback: When is a deal made?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I don't think the rules for this site are clear enough in describing when a negotiation has resulted in a deal, either "I'll take it" or some other equivalent.
By "a deal" I mean an agreement which obligates both persons to actually show up for the meeting and buy the gun if it's in the condition as described.
Or, for deals that involve shipping firearms, the "deal" would be one that obligates them to each perform their own obligations to send the money, and to send the gun.

Now I realize that there are some comments about this in the rules related to leaving negative feedback .

The trouble is that when going into a deal somebody may not even be considering that the deal will go south and therefore somebody might leave bad feedback.
Leaving negative feedback may be the furthest thing from anybody's mind at that point, as a bargain is being negotiated and finalized, or close to finalized.

I suggest that somewhere on the side everybody who does buying selling or trading has to see a statement of what is considered a "deal" having been made here at ODT.

If the only things that the Admins of ODT want to say on the subject are the couple of sentences about it that are found in the negative feedback rules, fine, but let's just repeat that somewhere else more prominently.

1- "I'll take it" means nothing unless the advertiser says it will.
2-- There is never an obligation to buy a gun, only an obligation to show up at the agreed-upon meeting place and time and consider buying it after inspection.
3- selecting a date and time for the meeting, with agreement by both parties, is the proof of the deal being made ( but again, it's only a deal to meet and inspect the item).
4-- The only acceptable way to prove the agreement of a meeting place and time is through posts or private messages right here on the ODT, not communications in any other form.

I don't think these few rules about leaving negative feedback are good enough, and they're quite a bit different from how the rest of society works about contracts.

I suggest we have a statement that reflects basic common-law principles of contract formation.
I suggest we give some specific examples of the difference between negotiating toward a deal and actually having a deal made.

It doesn't matter what the rules are. When we leave negative feedback its just a suggestion. The Mods have the final say so in whether the person gets negative feedback or not.

Back
Top Bottom