• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sitting here thinking , Who has never been called for Jury Duty?

I have not & think I would like to 1 time to have the experience ,
I have been called 3 times but dismissed early each time. It is our civic duty but it can be very disruptive, especially if you happen to be self-employed and if it is a very long, drawn out case it could cause extreme hardship. If you do get selected to sit on a case it is very difficult to prove it would cause hardship from what I've heard.

Called once. Case was plead before they selected from the pool. Found out after it was a murder trail and we likely would have been sequestered for 6+ weeks according to the judge. Was happy to have NOT been on that one.
That was the only time. I'd like to serve.
My wife served on an open and shut armed robbery case. That was "interesting".

Got called for jury selection once about 15 yrs ago. 5 hours of sitting around roughly 50-60 others waiting to be called into a courtroom to answer a bunch questions from some lawyers (voir dire) and got dismissed after 2 hrs of questions in the courtroom. So, 5 hrs sitting around + crappy (wouldn't serve in a HS cafeteria) cold sandwich lunch + 2 hrs of questions = $30(ish) check. Not wanting to go thru that again (:frusty: :madgrin: :loco:), but I do understand it is an important part of the legal system.

Got called twice for jury duty when I lived in Cobb, and I actually served on two juries. Both were drug cases, and in both cases, once the prosecution presented their case, the defense changed their plea. I guess their strategy was to try to catch the prosecution on some type of procedural error.

I've been called once since I've lived in Paulding, didn't serve on a jury. The case involved a construction worker that had been charged with the theft of some construction tools/equipment after he had been fired from a construction company. The defendants defense was that they were his tools, and he simply took them with him when he was fired. I disclosed that my bro-in-law worked for a builder, so I was dismissed.

I find the whole process pretty interesting. I actually don't mind being on jury duty.

Back
Top Bottom