• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Skeet shooters what is your preferred ammo?

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
I have gotten into busting clays this year and am wanting to know what is your preferred shell? 7, 7.5,8 ,9 of 12 gauge 2 3/4 or 3” ammo. What has worked what has not worked. I am well schooled that sometimes it’s the Indian and not the arrow. ( I shoot highpower so I get it)

What has low recoil? What seems accurate?

I personally have been shooting, Federal target loads, Remington Gun Club , Estate Target loads and Herters, I have been mixing them up 7 , 7.5, 8 . I have not shot any 9' yet.

Many, many years ago, but my preferred ammo, and probably 80% of the shooters at that time, was Winchester AA loads of #9s. This was skeet, not sporting clays or trap.
Same here. I used to shoot AA's or Federal in competition, all #9 shot. For practice I would load my own and cut back on the powder charge a tad to give me a slower shot cluster by about 100 to 150 feet per second. Most birds are missed because the shooter "gets behind" the bird. This rationale seemed to work as I frequently had to replace my shooting hat :D.

Edit. Back in the day my gun was an O/U with 26" barrels bored skeet/skeet. The only 28" guns I saw were on the International Skeet range.

I shot a Japanese/Miroku Charles Daly 26" O/U with Purbaugh skeet tubes for the smaller gauges. Reloaded 12, 20 and 410. 28ga was so close to 20 that I didn't reload/practice, only shot it in competition. I got a few light hits, everybody does, and those extra #9s sure do come in handy. A single pellet can break a bird.

410 was a pain to reload, btw. Crimps were crappy, hulls only were good for 4-5 reloads, whereas 12s could be reloaded maybe 10-12 times.

Back
Top Bottom