• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SKS cutting down the barrel? And compliance question

Alex_V

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
71   0
Reaction score
Got a used Yugo SKS on trade, but it's missing the grenade launcher/muzzle adapter. I was thinking to just cut off the portion where the threads are. Before I hack it, I wanted to see if there are any legal repercussions to staying a certain length.

Also, it came without a bayonett. Same question - are there any reasons not to put one back? I am not sure what year the SKS is (pre or post ban), and not exactly certain about what the ban was all about.

Last question is regarding larger capacity magazines. Can I just slap a 75 round drum and go to a range, or do I need to swap 10 parts to make it 922r compliant?

Any words of advice? obviously I have no desire to break any laws. Chances are it will just sit in the safe most of its life.

Attachments

• IMG_6235.JPG
    IMG_6235.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks, and what about larger capacity magazines? I bough a 75 SKS drum a while back, mainly for looks, but do I need to worry about 922r compliance if I actually decide to use it at a range?

Sorry man. I'm not too familiar with the 922r compliance for the SKS. AKFiles.com may have more info for you

When you say "hack the threads off," are you planning on taking a hack saw to it? That will most likely ruin any accuracy. Take it to a qualified smith to cut the threads off if thats what you want to do.

I think you should just leave it alone.

When you say "hack the threads off," are you planning on taking a hack saw to it? That will most likely ruin any accuracy. Take it to a qualified smith to cut the threads off if thats what you want to do.

I think you should just leave it alone.

Well, I think that can be done with some basic tools and elbow grease. But if I get a reasonable quote from a local gunsmith, I don't mind paying a professional.

Technically, the SKS "might" fall under 922r...
...Realistically, I've never read where any private individual has ever been charged with 922r violation.

It's just me but I personally would not insert and fire a drum mag in a SKS while at an indoor range where they have a DVR camera system recording my every move, rather I would prefer to use one of the outdoor ranges where there's no camera's and everyone minds their own business :thumb:

Makes sense.:thumb:

If I had a Yugo SKS I would certainly hack that ugly launching device off unless it was just a museum quality rifle. There's a few YouTube videos on cutting one down. I like to use a pipe cutter so I get a straight cut.
There are also videos on how to take a Dremel to the bottom side of the bolt on the sides so that you can insert mags with the bolt closed. It's pretty easy and done in a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom