• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SKS M Prices

CZ82man

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
205   0
Reaction score
Why are the prices so high for the SKSs that take AK mags? Is it because they are scarce. The ones I have seen for sale range from the price of an AK to entry level AR. Would like to add one to collection but hard to pay $450 - $650 for one. Any insight?

I would be very careful when purchasing a SKS that has been adapted to take AK mags. The SKS has to be modified, and while some will go a great job and the modification will work great, others may not do a great job and you end up with a weapon that will not function as you want. If you want an SKS that will take AK mags, buy an unmolested SKS, and have the work done yourself. That way you know who did it, and who to take it to if it does not work properly. Just my thoughts.

Some of them came from Norinco with the option to accept AK mags only. I believe these are the ones he is talking about. I know the reason the guns were no longer imported was they were very very easily converted to FA. Could be that's why the price is so high, they were only imported for 1 or 2 years I think.

Hmmmm hehe. I had one once before. Total POS. Then I bought a standard SKS. It was a POS too. Never again.

You might have gotten two duds. It happens with the SKS. I have a friend of mine who bought and sold a number of them that wouldn't shoot well. Now he has one that shoots very well, and I have tried to buy it from him with no success.

I just bought my first...we'll see how that goes.

As to the OP's question: Supply and demand. The 'M' variants are rare, hence the higher price tag.

"Norinco had, at one point, manufactured the SKS-M, SKS-D, and MC-5D models which were engineered from the factory to accept AKM magazines without problems (though the wood stock must be relieved to accept drum magazines)."

And

"Importation of the Chinese SKS into the USA was banned in 1994."

That's why they're expensive. Actual SKS M's can't be imported anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

Back
Top Bottom