• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SKS-M

parolebear

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
215   0
Reaction score
What kind of prices are people seeing on these guns? The is the SKS that was built to take AK mags and is the "paratrooper" length. I picked one up at the local pawn shop and now wondering if I want to keep it. I found a few on line but at prices I find unreal. I know they have not been imported in a while and it is neat to have a SKS that does not have to take those "duckbill" mags. I have a Norinco that I have about 6 or 8 "duckbills" for and was thinking of moving one or the other. Opinions?????

Well given the current market for a regular SKS is pulling realistically $300-350 the ak mag adaptability adds a premium to roughly $500 I've been seeing them go for 800-1200 on GunBroker but I don't see why since you can pick up a brand new ak for $500-600 but the collective nature of the sks m and d also plays in on the pricing and is going the way of all the other surplus guns diminishing supply and high demand especially for unmollested specimens (it pays not to be bubba)

The M and De models are bringing premium prices these days. I had a D model back in 05/06 and it looked really good with 20 round tanker mags. I liked the paratrooper length too. Evidently I sold mine way too cheap at $350.00. I would love to have another D model. I don't like the thumb hole stock on the M model.
Problem with that is that these days you can score a WASR or other AK for what the D or M model goes for.
It's a lot like the regular SKS market. They were great rifles at $99.00 and even at $199.00. But when the prices topped $300.00 all the appeal kinda went away.

As others stated sks rifles period sell for stupid . I’ve seen M models steadily sell for over a G . I’d hang on to it if you can as it will only continue to gain value . Granted you could just exit now at a heathy profit too

I have seen everything from $500 to $900. Condition is everything. Costs about as much as a nice import AKM.

There are 3 common varieties that accept the AK mags, the Sporter, M and D. Unless the Sporter's unusual thumbhole stock was swapped with a very hard to find D or M's stock, the Sporters generally fetch less (than the D or M), like between $500-600.

I find my Sporter is uncomfortable to get a good cheek-weld for firing with its open sights whereas the D & M shoulder like the box-mag SKS's. I can't hardly believe the price these are going for nowadays :(
The prices really are unrealistic. I had the D model about 10 years ago. Once I broke it down I quickly noticed that the mag catch for the front of the AK mag was just a screwed in rectangular piece of steel. As I commented before I liked the tanker style 20 round mags with that rifle. Not only did they look better they worked better.
Anyway, on the D model the mag lockup depends not only on the spring loaded factory mag catch but also the steel tab in the stock. ( NOT the receiver) . It's very easy to not insert the mag just right and have a failure.

I have a M model that I got new in box in a trade about 6 years ago for a revolver. Having the original box, sling, 10 round magazine, cleaning rod and oil bottle is something I never see. Mine has the very nice Monte Carlo stock as well. I believe I put something like 15 rounds through it, cleaned it and put it in the safe where it resides today. Maybe I need to look into selling it with prices like you guys say they are bringing.

I might even be persuaded to let go of the crate with two unopened spam cans of Norinco armor piercing ammo. These would go great together.

Back
Top Bottom