• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sleep Apnia/ Snoring recommendations

I would encourage you to get moving with seeing a doctor/pulmonologist who will likely order a sleep study for you.
I feared having to wear a mask but after finding out I was waking up 52 times an hour I knew something had to change

My second SS session involved using a machine with the nose pillows. When I woke I felt such a difference I was ready to buy a machine on the spot
A professional will determine what you need and what pressure your machine needs to be set at. The pressure setting is critical to your success.

I know a CPAP machine has saved my life and my marriage. It is worth whatever you have to pay

Do it now. You will not regret it

As I’ve gotten older my snoring has gotten worse. Horrible snoring, wake up through out the night with Arizona dessert dry mouth. Often wake up gasping for air and fighting like I’ve been attacked by a mountain lion.

Any recommendations? And devices or machines you guys recommend? Pills? Tape?
Sleep on ya stomach.

As I’ve gotten older my snoring has gotten worse. Horrible snoring, wake up through out the night with Arizona dessert dry mouth. Often wake up gasping for air and fighting like I’ve been attacked by a mountain lion.

if you have Obstructive sleep apnea You can get a cpap machine and do pretty good. If you have Central Apnea it's another deal altogether. Get a sleep study done (by a reputable hospital) and see if they can diagnose your problem. I have a brain injury from an electrocution I barely survived ,(thank You Lee Turner)and my Co2 buildup trigger doesn't inform my brain to tell my lungs to breath. Breathing is an involuntary function controlled by a CO2 buildup which triggers lung function. When I stop breathing my heart rate increases dramatically to a point where I wake up in a panic, gasping for air, head pounding, heart racing........They say my heart races to attempt to oxygenate my blood. I get a few breaths and simmer down and go back to sleep. My doctors have used this scenario to explain what happens. Might be right.......might be a crock of bs..... (they call it practicing medicine after all)......Medicine that I take makes me sleep lightly so I can remember to breathe.. sometime I have obstructive apnea..... I can tell because I start that snorring, throat closing up, flapper falling down (as I call it).Anyway I'm telling you what has worked for me so far... . so far.....ain't none of us gonna get out of this alive......but the pill is cheaper than the funeral. Get a sleep study done. My wife has saved my life many times by waking me up. Even the sleep study nurse woke me up during the study all worried.........said I hadn't breathed for over three minutes and she got concerned.....I remember her face.....that little girl was skeered! get a sleep study done my friend....

I went to a sleep doctor, and he prescribed a machine, I wear a mask while I sleep, like diving only diffrent

if you have Obstructive sleep apnea You can get a cpap machine and do pretty good. If you have Central Apnea it's another deal altogether. Get a sleep study done (by a reputable hospital) and see if they can diagnose your problem. I have a brain injury from an electrocution I barely survived ,(thank You Lee Turner)and my Co2 buildup trigger doesn't inform my brain to tell my lungs to breath. Breathing is an involuntary function controlled by a CO2 buildup which triggers lung function. When I stop breathing my heart rate increases dramatically to a point where I wake up in a panic, gasping for air, head pounding, heart racing........They say my heart races to attempt to oxygenate my blood. I get a few breaths and simmer down and go back to sleep. My doctors have used this scenario to explain what happens. Might be right.......might be a crock of bs..... (they call it practicing medicine after all)......Medicine that I take makes me sleep lightly so I can remember to breathe.. sometime I have obstructive apnea..... I can tell because I start that snorring, throat closing up, flapper falling down (as I call it).Anyway I'm telling you what has worked for me so far... . so far.....ain't none of us gonna get out of this alive......but the pill is cheaper than the funeral. Get a sleep study done. My wife has saved my life many times by waking me up. Even the sleep study nurse woke me up during the study all worried.........said I hadn't breathed for over three minutes and she got concerned.....I remember her face.....that little girl was skeered! get a sleep study done my friend....
Sounds like mine, but not as bad

I am going through this now. First steps. Got to go get 2 nd study to find pressures. What is the best mask options and where do y'all buy these cheaper?

Sort of on topic. one of the really stupid rules that artificially inflates the price of CPAP machines is that you need a prescription to buy one. You have to buy it from a licensed "prescriber".

If you have a used one for whatever reason, it's illegal to sell it. You can give it away.

But you can't donate it to Goodwill, Red Cross, whoever, because they can't sell it.

Totally stupid rule, but it's one of those where the med companies donate lots of money to both parties, so no one is interested in reining in the costs.

Same thing applies to the test strips for my blood thinner, Need a prescription for the machine, AND to buy the overpriced test strips.
Not being an ass but, who police's the private world to stop someone from buying or selling one? It would be hilarious to see a news story about busting a CPap black market ring...

1. I wear a nose only mask, works great.
2. You can buy cpap machines without a prescription but you need to know your pressures and how to set the machine to them. This is probably frowned upon, but when my machine broke I figured it all out in a day to get my sleep back. Then I went back to the doctor and got it sorted out the right way. It can be done though. I was a desperate man who needed good sleep.
3. I also suggest having two machines, if one breaks you do not want to be without one, at least not me. Keep an older one around just in case or for travel.

As you all can tell, I am pretty serious about this stuff. The difference to me in having the machine at night or not having it is night and day and feels like life and death. I credit my CPap for my surviving a pretty bad case of Covid. That thing kept my blood oxygenatedand my lungs full at night while I slept.

Before my sleep study my breathing locked up i could not breath I got out of the bed and slammed myself into a door jamb to catch a breath it was frightening!! The rest of the night was spent on the sofa afraid to go to sleep. Get over the I don't want something on my face BS and deal with it you will adapt and love your Cpap it will save and extend your life.

Back
Top Bottom