• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sleep Apnia/ Snoring recommendations

cpap.com is a mail order outfit down in Texas that I have bought...on my own, no insurance involved....3 machines. You just fax them a copy of your prescription. Their prices are very reasonable and they have a large selection of all types and brands of machines. I highly recommend.

My first machine was large, and good for at home, but I needed a smaller machine for travelling and this outfit fixed me up. Insurance wasn't gonna buy me a second machine so I was on my own.

I know a fat guy his 60s who was told 15 years ago that he had sleep apnea and needed CPAP. He tried a machine and he didn't like it ---of course he's a whiner and complainer by nature and he can't accept reality when he doesn't like it.

He said that he needed a different machine. The insurance company paid for, and the doctor set him up with, two different machines and four or five sets of masks and headgear. He said he didn't like them enough to use them nightly.

So he gave up. Now he doesn't use anything.

He's still alive, but has episodes of brain fog, he lost his job (several jobs), he naps all day, can't sleep at night, had many accidents and wrecked many cars due to not being able to focus on the important task at hand and not quickly make good decisions,
Also he and now has health problems that leave him homebound.

I, on the other hand, have needed CPAP for 20 years. And I've used it. I liked it from the very first time I tried it -- right there in the sleep lab starting at about two in the morning!

I've had a few different machines over the years and it didn't take any getting used to the mask or the hose for me .

By the way I'm lazy and I don't clean the machine very often and I don't use water in the H2O tank. I find my own breath is plenty moist and I get enough of that pushed back into me by the machine that the air I'm breathing is not overly dry.

The CPAP machine I got in 2007 (ResMed M-Series with humidifier) would put me to sleep in 3 minutes and I cannot sleep well without it. It's now the CPAP I take for overnight trips. CPAPs and similar are listed as Durable Medical Equipment and my old machine is still going strong- I take it apart periodically to clean the internals. Last fall I was told that Anthem wouldn't cover supplies for the old machine and that I would need to buy one of the newer ones. Well, I did get a new one in 2014 with a data card but it's noisy and you can literally hear yourself breathe which is annoying as it takes longer to fall asleep. It too is a ResMed, model System One and has the same filters as my old machine. And fortunately, my parts supplier got it set up to record data over the course of a week to show my ENT that I was still active and the Doc approved my re-supply request. I completed a take-home sleep study in November which reaffirmed my sleep apnea. Going forward, I have enough supplies to get me into Medicare, and with a Medigap plan, get the additional sleep studies, and supplies, and pay the monthly rental for one of these new high-tech machines that auto-adjust the air pressure. That's the plan.

Did the sleep study, got a machine, tried it, HATED IT. I got fitted for 4 different masks before I gave up. Plus with the distilled water…and cleaning it….

It’s still in the carrying case at the bottom of my closet. worst $1200 I ever spent.

Edit: I hope it works for you if you need it. Most Swear by it. I just know I slept way worse because I don’t like anything on my face. That’s just me.
I’m right there with ya.

Agreed, CPAP machine. There's also surgery to fix it, check with your insurance.

Try sleeping with 3-4 pillows to elevate your upper body or on your side, until you can find a better solution. One of those adjustable beds works too.
The surgery is horrific and has a very low success rate.

This is all new to me. Unfortunately it sounds like something that I am going to have to investigate and probably end up with. I have had a few problems sleeping here and there over the years but after these seizures and the docs looking at it , I have come to the realization that I am way way off course for normal restorative sleep !
I am guessing that the doctors office is where I am going to have to start for the sleep stuff ?? The CPAP and all ??
Thanks to all who have given info here.
Machine and masks need a prescription. You can find machines online most likely used but you’ll need the sleep study to determine the pressure setting that they determine works best for you. Masks, there are sites that just sell with no prescription. It’s a tough process but better than not using it at all.

Make sure you have all of the life insurance you are ever going to need before you have the study. It’s very expensive once diagnosed. The surgery is one of the most painful recoveries of any. Nothing short of horrific. CPAP works great for some. The oral appliance can also be the fix. Some of us are dimmed.

Back
Top Bottom