• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slow deer season? This may be why...

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
438   0
Reaction score
My number of deer sightings has been down this year and the number using my food plots are way down.This week I could hear deer eating acorns close to my stand but many of them never got out of the thick stuff where I could see them. The ones I did see stayed around me for quite a while eating acorns. They're not having to move much to get a full belly.

Just to illustrate these acorns came from just one white oak in my backyard. The kids and I filled up two buckets from roughly a 15' X 15' area in the backyard. We could and may fill up at least another 2 buckets worth and the acorns are still coming down at a good rate.

Maybe I'll see more deer once they've cleaned up the woods a little.

20166.jpeg

20167.jpeg

The wife was commenting that acorns are raining down on the deck as she tried to clean it off. Good year for natural food should make for a healthy herd in the following years.
Yep the does that survive will likely be dropping 2 fawns next spring and they should be in good shape going into Winter.

It was a bad year for acorns on Fort Gordon. 2 bad years in a row now. Up until last year I could listen to it raining acorns in my go to spots. I hope next year is better.

It was a bad year for acorns on Fort Gordon. 2 bad years in a row now. Up until last year I could listen to it raining acorns in my go to spots. I hope next year is better.
Yeah, I don't know what makes one year better than another. We got a good bit of rain this year so maybe that's it.

Back
Top Bottom