• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slow deer season? This may be why...

Yeah, I don't know what makes one year better than another. We got a good bit of rain this year so maybe that's it.

I looked into it because it's been so bad. I found out that a wet spring washes away the pollen. There are a few other things that matter. Certain oaks will have good acorns every,other year or every third year.

I looked into it because it's been so bad. I found out that a wet spring washes away the pollen. There are a few other things that matter. Certain oaks will have good acorns every,other year or every third year.
Yeah I've heard that too. I can't remember which it is but members of one family (white oak family / red oak family) produce every year while the other produces every other year.

I do know the water oak produces almost every year. While they are smaller and have a higher tannin content than the white oaks, they drop later in the year and are often deer magnets when everything else in gone.

I've never seen deer eat the big acorns, they like the little red ones more in my experience. My parents have a tree that just pours them big acorns, I used to collect them and put them where I hunt and they would just rot on the ground.

I've never seen deer eat the big acorns, they like the little red ones more in my experience. My parents have a tree that just pours them big acorns, I used to collect them and put them where I hunt and they would just rot on the ground.
Deer like the white oaks best because the tannin content is lowest in those as compared to acorns produced in the red oak family. Tannin produces a bitter taste. I've always thought white oaks were pretty big compared to some of the other varieties though the northern red oak produces some whoppers.

Back
Top Bottom