• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Small Business Health Insurance - any ideas from other biz people?

Health insurance options for the Proprietor

• Job - change jobs, go work at Home Depot and get insurance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VA - take your chances with the VA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XSmojo

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
Looking to the wisdom of the trader clan for options on Health insurance. The gov "solution" has eliminated all my options but 1 that no doctor will actually take. So the exchange appears to be a dead end for individual or SHOP options.

I am looking for a usable option for individual family or a small business with a just a few people. I think this will require an agent or broker of some type but it seems the few agents I have on file are no longer in this line of insurance.

Curious to know if anyone else has looked into this or knows any agents still focused on healthcare?

I'm 34 and have never had health insurance. Self employed now and was just looking today. Looks like the cheapest plan for me is about half of my estimated income. I guess I'll just die, thank Obama. Good luck with your search.

Wife - suggest the wife change jobs so she can insure us

Seriously, this is what many folks do.

Tons of state jobs that usually only hire women, low pay but the medical insurance will also cover the spouse if he is not covered at work. Dirt cheap compared to your options.

Looking to the wisdom of the trader clan for options on Health insurance. The gov "solution" has eliminated all my options but 1 that no doctor will actually take. So the exchange appears to be a dead end for individual or SHOP options.

I am looking for a usable option for individual family or a small business with a just a few people. I think this will require an agent or broker of some type but it seems the few agents I have on file are no longer in this line of insurance.

Curious to know if anyone else has looked into this or knows any agents still focused on healthcare?

It's gotta be a bad situation.....

Just like Bernie Marcus said when interviewed before Obamacare was passed. "It's gonna hit small businesses very, very hard."

He wasn't kidding.

Obamacare was designed to fail-and it will. I just hope it doesn't take the rest of the economy along with it.

Look into Medishare. It worked for us until one of us landed a solid gig that actually offered an insurance package worth something. But yeah, its pretty terrible. Again, not sure what people expect from a gov run operation...

Yes, I just finished dealing with this for several months. The existing marketplace is total crap. Totally unusable for normal self-employed people. There’s only one, maybe two providers left and Georgia. And no doctors except the plans.

Having your wife get coverage through another job is great if she can.

Your next option is a corporate group plan. These corporateGroup plans still have good POS plans available. But they’re expensive, and they come with a catch. You can’t have a corporate plan only for yourself, or yourself and your wife. You have to have at least one other non-related person. If the company pays for your plan and has to pay for the other person as well. So it only works if you’re willing to pay for somebody else’s plan.

I included an employee as part of his raise for the next year.

You also can’t pick and choose one employee and not others.
We had to set up a new business structure, second entity, and ensuring that group of three people including myself and my family.

Different brokers specialize in these different avenues. I didn’t find one that could operate in all areas.

It’s expensive to set up your own corporate plan. At a minimum, you have to pay for at least 75 percent of the employees in the group/company, if you want to pay for yourself as well.

Let me know and I could send you a broker or two. But if you have a bunch of employees and you’re not willing to pay for all of them, it won’t work. Only if you’re willing to pay for everybody equally with at least 75 percent participation, unless they are in eligible, which would be VA benefits, etc.

It’s way too confusing, too expensive, and crappy benefits inless you go all out with the Corporate group plan. Thats what we got with our gov run healthcare.

This is not a joke. You can check it out.

School bus drivers get insurance, and it's state insurance and pretty good. I'll bet over half, maybe 2/3d of the drivers are doing is strictly for the insurance. I know one guy who said he would drive for free for the insurance - with his kids and what he would have to pay on his own, free would be like a second income. The drivers I know like it because they can easily work a second job or run their own business between pickup and dropoffs.

Any support position in the schools is the same - office, cafeteria, environmental. That little old cafeteria lady isn't handing out pre-packaged government meals because she likes to see the smile on the little monster's faces.

Thing about school work is that the hours coincide with the kids, and it's only a 9 month job.

I work for a insurance company. Call our sister agency AA LaRocco & Associates. 770-441-2712 they may be able to help. They write our heath lines.

Back
Top Bottom