• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smart thermostats

leetheman81

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
165   0
Reaction score
Anyone used a smart thermostat? I find that the temperature in the bedrooms seem significantly cooler than at the thermostat itself. Seems like this is causing the ac system to run longer trying to obtain the desired temp at the thermostat due to no vents being anywhere near the thermostat itself(in a hall). Considering the ecobee with room sensors to place in frequented areas of the house but would take any input from anyone with experience with any of the smart thermostats. Thanks in advance!

Same thing, thermostat in hall, some rooms a lot cooler. Cheap redneck engineering fix....
Place small (6") fan on floor in bedroom doorway blowing on thermostat.

A smart thermostat placed in the same location as the original won't change the inbalance.
You need to balance the system and locate the thermostat near the return air intake.
Usually this is in the hall. Balance the system by adjusting the individual vents in each room.
If the room is to cold, close the vent.
Individual thermostats will only help if you install dampers for each room.

Use a Nest, really made it easy to turn up or down and monitor usage. The room sensors are a great thing to have.
We zoned our condo and now have 2 NEST thermostats. We also added a new return upstairs for balance. My smartwatch has a NEST app as well as my phone so I don't even have to get out of bed to adjust either NEST.

We are very comfortable.....

Back
Top Bottom