• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith and Wesson 5903 won't always decock

metalpeddler88

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
63   0
Reaction score
I've got a Smith and Wesson 5903 that was given to me by a family member, but it seems to have an issue with the decocker, it won't always decock. I have to push pretty hard with several attempts to get it to decock, or pushing it downward on the slide works too. This gun has seen thousands of rounds easily, so I'm not surprised there's something that needs fixing, but I can not seem to find anything that is causing this issue. My google-fu is evidently weak.

IMG_20200105_173341.jpg

IMG_20200105_173345.jpg

IMG_20200105_173349.jpg
IMG_20200105_173841.jpg

IMG_20200105_173855.jpg

My question, does anyone know a specific part that I should be looking at? I am not replacing every internal part here, but if I can fix this myself for cheap enough, then it saves me from shipping this to Smith and Wesson. I am not entirely opposed to shipping it to them, but would prefer not to. I should also add that this isn't a carry gun anymore, it's more collective and sentimental, so there's no urgency to get it fixed. :)

Need to check to be sure, but S&W might not be working on them anymore. As of a few years ago, they were running out of the old time smiths who knew how to work on them.

I think any 1911 gunsmith that makes 1911’s a big part of their business could peen the rear most inch of the slide rails enough to tighten things back up. I do not think much can be done to the alloy frame.

If you know how, remove the grips and see if the problem persists with them off - sometimes grips installed slightly incorrectly can cause different anomalies -

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I ordered the sear release lever, hoping that's it. I know I'll have to take the grips off then, so I'll wait for that. If it turns out to be the frame itself, then that'll be a bummer, and not gonna happen, frame is police engraved. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Smith and Wesson doesn't work on these anymore. Last time I sent in an older gun that had stovepipe issues (every mag, any ammo), they sent it back with a note saying "nothing wrong". My guess was they didn't want to worry about it since it was older. Either way, irritated me, and sold it with the disclaimer. I'll post an update after the sear lever swap.

It's funny you mention the grips, I have a P08 that's like that, magazine drops free without the grips, holds tight with the grips.

Got it going again. It was the sear release lever. Got the lever release in the mail, and installed it today. It's funny how many parts there are in the gun, and how tightly everything fits. The part wasn't a direct swap though, it needed some filing to fit just right, lots of trial and error. I snagged a picture before I started fitting it, the top one was the original lever, the bottom is the new one.

IMG_20200111_161655.jpg

Now the gun decocks as needed every time, function checked everything. Next stop the range, because these guns are neat. Then maybe toy around with the P08. :)

Back
Top Bottom