• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith and Wesson model 30-1 value?

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
So today while visiting my parents my dad gave me a few of my grandfather's old guns, and of course I'm not gonna get rid of any of them just trying to get values together for my insurance policy. This is the only one that I cant find a consistent value for.Overall I'd say it's in good to very good condition, no rust, pitting, or bluing issues. There is some tarnish on the s&w logos on the grip panels but I know I can get that off and clean. Thanks in advance for any info.
20180119_222052.jpg

I don't know about value, but here's an article about the Model 30 series.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/used-gun-market-smith-wesson-model-30/

Just today, at a pawn shop in Cumming, I was fondling this gun's ancestor, a 1930s to early 1950s .32 Hand Ejector, on the I-frame, with the tension screw for the flat mainspring that it used. Nice little gun, and certainly a step up in power from any .22 rimfire.

I don't know about value, but here's an article about the Model 30 series.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/used-gun-market-smith-wesson-model-30/

Just today, at a pawn shop in Cumming, I was fondling this gun's ancestor, a 1930s to early 1950s .32 Hand Ejector, on the I-frame, with the tension screw for the flat mainspring that it used. Nice little gun, and certainly a step up in power from any .22 rimfire.
that's a pretty good write up on it. My grandfather told me at some point he bought it from my uncle, his son in law for around $50. Uncle Tom carried it while he was a mail carrier in Statesboro then according to pop the postal service came out saying carriers could only carry a .38 special so Tom sold it to him to fund a s&w .30 special.

I found one in a small pawn shop in Marietta 4 years ago , I gave 350 plus tax and was happy to pay it

What an AWESOME revolver... 6 shot J frame , GA Arms has some really nice self defense ammo. New starline brass and loaded with speer projectile . my wife shot it so well that it’s her EDC

Good looking M30-1 flatlatch. The M30-1 went into production in 1961 using the J frame. The serial number would narrow down the approx year, but it had to be produced before 1966, because in 1966 the latch was changed to a more "modern" latch.
Value? Well, you are correct, the values can be all over the place. Condition, barrel length, original box, accessories, etc all factor in when trying to determine value. Yours having a 2" barrel, with the flatlatch and the diamond magas (which are probably numbered to the gun), the value will be slightly higher than a gun from the early '70s. If I had to guess, and that is all it would be is a guess, I would guess the value from $375 to $500. I would go with $500 for insurance purposes. I know that is a wide range, but the pictures shows a good in good shape, but viewing would help determine the acutal condition, you did not mention if you had the box and docs, and I don't know if the grips serial number to the gun. Just my opinion, and what the heck do I know?

Good looking M30-1 flatlatch. The M30-1 went into production in 1961 using the J frame. The serial number would narrow down the approx year, but it had to be produced before 1966, because in 1966 the latch was changed to a more "modern" latch.
Value? Well, you are correct, the values can be all over the place. Condition, barrel length, original box, accessories, etc all factor in when trying to determine value. Yours having a 2" barrel, with the flatlatch and the diamond magas (which are probably numbered to the gun), the value will be slightly higher than a gun from the early '70s. If I had to guess, and that is all it would be is a guess, I would guess the value from $375 to $500. I would go with $500 for insurance purposes. I know that is a wide range, but the pictures shows a good in good shape, but viewing would help determine the acutal condition, you did not mention if you had the box and docs, and I don't know if the grips serial number to the gun. Just my opinion, and what the heck do I know?
thanks! I don't have a box or docs and the serial number found on the butt of the handle first 3 is 752. It does look better in person than in the picture. Where would the grip panels have a serial number at?

Take off the grip panels, and on the inside of the right grip panel you should see the serial stamped in the wood.
P1020543.JPG

Take off the grip panels, and on the inside of the right grip panel you should see the serial stamped in the wood. View attachment 1476459
thanks when I get home I'll have to pull them off and check. I did notice on the yoke when I open it up there is a different 5 or 6 digit number stamped is it supposed to match the butt number or ok to be totally different?

Back
Top Bottom