• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith for a chop and thread on mini 14 - pre 580

Chinookdriver

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
80   0
Reaction score
Ive called around to a couple smiths and not gotten a great answer yet. Hoping someone here might be able to help out with a suggestion of a good smith that can help me out with the job.

It's an older pencil style barrel (pic below) that I want to cut down and thread in 1/2 x 28

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20230327_220301190~2.jpg
    PXL_20230327_220301190~2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 31
Moss Firearms up in Jasper. Bit of a distance from you, but Brannen Moss did exactly that for me late last year.

Thank you for the suggestion! Do you have any pics of the end result?

Sure

IMG_20230327_234015_HDR[1].jpg

This is a 300BLK 580-series barrel, cut down and threaded to accommodate a Dead Air flash hider. That's the underside - you can see where it's pinned and oriented.

Here's the whole thing, just for reference.

RUG07_2.jpg

This is another barrel he threaded for me on a Ruger PC Carbine. You can actually inspect the threads in the shot below.

IMG_20230327_234918_HDR.jpg

The crud you can see there is my fault. Nice clean threads with a good shoulder.

Sure

View attachment 5532269

This is a 300BLK 580-series barrel, cut down and threaded to accommodate a Dead Air flash hider. That's the underside - you can see where it's pinned and oriented.

View attachment 5532271

This is another barrel he threaded for me on a Ruger PC Carbine. You can actually inspect the threads in the shot below.

View attachment 5532272

The crud you can see there is my fault. Nice clean threading with a good shoulder.
Thank you very much! I will be calling him tomorrow

Sure

View attachment 5532269

View attachment 5532271

View attachment 5532272

The crud you can see there is my fault. Nice clean threads with a good shoulder.
3-5 month turnaround. Can't seem to catch a break. Thanks for the suggestion

Hey stranger. Most smiths around here are gonna take a while. I'd call Firearms Training Academy in Woodstock and check times, and also D. Wilson Manufacturing in Englewood, CO. You could go the classic route of Accuracy Systems, who specialize in Minis, but I have no idea their turn around time

Hey stranger. Most smiths around here are gonna take a while. I'd call Firearms Training Academy in Woodstock and check times, and also D. Wilson Manufacturing in Englewood, CO. You could go the classic route of Accuracy Systems, who specialize in Minis, but I have no idea their turn around time
They're Triple Hex Firearms now and as of a couple weeks ago turnaround time for a barrel cut with p&w was about a month.

Back
Top Bottom